• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID/Synth Question You're Too Afraid To Ask?

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Just curious, how do producers make the actual music for their originals? Is there a built-in thing with VOCALOID or is it a separate software they use?
Vocaloid doesn’t have anything for music production aside from the vocals (and, as of V3, instrumental track support), so most people make the actual music in DAWs or record instruments themselves, then put the vocals with the instrumental in post.

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
DAWs are the music making software you're looking for! (Digital Audio Workstation) The most popular DAW amongst Western producers is FL Studio. For Japanese users, it's Cubase and Logic Pro.
I’ve been on a research kick lately, so if you or anyone else is interested @ThatGirlMyra, here’s a good resource for weighing some of the big-name DAWs and choosing a good fit:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@ThatGirlMyra: peaches2217 and lIlI basically covered it, but if you're interested in even more detail, this resource provides info on some of the basic kinds of software used for vocal synth production work (at least enough to make music, make the synth sing, and adjust the sound in different ways; enough to get an overview, anyway), and this resource goes even further into the steps for using that software to produce a cover.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Thank you all so much for the in-depth answers!

I have another one for those of you who've been to Miku Expo. I want to start saving to go to Miku Expo, but I can't find how much a decent seat would be? Any help?
I think it depends on where you're going. According to your profile, you're from Georgia in the US, and it looks like basic tickets there started at $50 in 2020. But I think other venues charged different amounts.

Bear in mind, also, that that is probably for the general category of seats. I believe Miku Expo tickets usually have at least two categories--general and VIP. VIP seats cost a bit more because 1) they get to enter the auditorium first, so they can theoretically get closer to the stage, and 2) they receive a goodie bag of VIP-exclusive merch. VIP ticket prices will likely vary, too, but I'd guesstimate at least $100, if the general tickets are $50.

In case you're curious about the above "theoretically get[ting] closer to the stage," as I've heard, Miku Expo is often a standing event (i.e., no chairs). So the VIPs enter the auditorium first and stand nearer the stage, and are then followed in by the general admission ticket holders. I don't think that's necessarily always the case, though--I believe some venues do have chairs, it just depends on the venue you'll be attending. In that case, I assume the VIPs would be given seats nearer the stage.

For the sake of full disclosure, I haven't actually attended a Miku Expo event, but I did exert every effort to attend 2020 until it had to be cancelled. So I welcome any required corrections from anyone who knows more/has more firsthand experience.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Not a Miku Expo expert, but there are Discords dedicated to the subject for various countries and VocaVerse has a yearly forum made for each expo. So it would probably help to find out through this forum/PM people who go every year, ask on Twitter, ask around on Discord for opinions/advice from people who have went (I think people even arrange meetups and after parties and that sort of thing).

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
I am trying to work on a cover with Maiko Hakaine (English to Japanese translation project). Her scream sound clips are really long and get cut off abruptly in some short notes. Is there a way to make certain notes fade out or get squished into the note box better? (I am an UTAU newb but need the transitions to be smoother.)

___

Oct 8, 2019
I am trying to work on a cover with Maiko Hakaine (English to Japanese translation project). Her scream sound clips are really long and get cut off abruptly in some short notes. Is there a way to make certain notes fade out or get squished into the note box better? (I am an UTAU newb but need the transitions to be smoother.)
Harshes utaus are really really tricky, if you can help it, it's better to avoid them as a newbie as they are...even more...manual? than your average utau and need a lot fo working around and good knowledge of the program 1st, but this is a good start:

you'll need to do some messing around with STP, preutterance and overlap especially, seeing what works by trial and error

Sep 21, 2019
This is kind of embarrassing since I feel like I should already know, but what exactly classifies as redistribution when it comes to UTAU voicebanks? To me, redistribution would mean putting the vb up for download where anyone can download it without the original authors' permission, as opposed to (for example) giving a voicebank to an individual who is unable to download it themselves. "Redistribution" has always been a slightly confusing area for me.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Harshes utaus are really really tricky, if you can help it, it's better to avoid them as a newbie as they are...even more...manual? than your average utau and need a lot fo working around and good knowledge of the program 1st, but this is a good start:

you'll need to do some messing around with STP, preutterance and overlap especially, seeing what works by trial and error
Thank you SO much! I watched the video and downloaded Moresampler. I will get it set up when I work on the project again.

The reason I am using Maiko is because someone commissioned me to translate an ENG > JP song and they are going to use her for the song. I wanted to get her to sound a bit more natural so I know my translation sounds good.

Going off the info from the tutorial video, I think I will be able to find additional tutorials (even if they're in Japanese). I didn't even know where to start looking or what to search for before.

• Love
Reactions: poser and ___

Arssen

New Fan
Jun 6, 2021
I have a few questions:
1. How do you make good vibratos using the PIT parameter? I know how to adjust PBS and I use a drawing tablet for it yet they still sound like they're drunk
2. Is there a way to tune using control points in Vocaloid similar to how UTAU works? I found a plugin that is kinda like the UTAU pitch editor but you still need to manually draw the pitch bends and its really messy
3. Can you use V5 Voicebanks in V4? I really like how the Himes sound but I don't want to buy the V5 editor

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
3. Can you use V5 Voicebanks in V4? I really like how the Himes sound but I don't want to buy the V5 editor
Only if you have Vocaloid 4.5 Editor for Cubase. So you'd either have to buy that or V5 + the starter V5loids.

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
Is there a way to tune using control points in Vocaloid similar to how UTAU works? I found a plugin that is kinda like the UTAU pitch editor but you still need to manually draw the pitch bends and its really messy.
So what I would say base tune in synth v and use utaformatex. Then fine tune in vocaloid editor

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
I got a new computer, but it does not have any cd out- plug (or how else it's called). So I wanted to know if it is possible to use my vocaloids on my new computer instead of the old one?

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I got a new computer, but it does not have any cd out- plug (or how else it's called). So I wanted to know if it is possible to use my vocaloids on my new computer instead of the old one?
i had the same problem, you can buy an external disk drive! i think mine was only like 20 bucks? you plug it into a usb port on your computer and then you can put cds in it and everything works normally.

for certain voicebanks if you can find their installers (for instance if they have free trials available for download) you can just use those and then put in your serial number, but not every voicebank has installers you can find easily so this might be a better option depending on what vocaloids you have.

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
for certain voicebanks if you can find their installers (for instance if they have free trials available for download) you can just use those and then put in your serial number
I actually heavily recommend saving all of your voicebanks' installers, either in a designated place on your computer or on an external hard drive. I lost my installer for Oliver when I got a new laptop at the end of 2018, and while PowerFX gave me another installer upon sending in my receipt, they gave me a pretty stern lecture on keeping track of my stuff, and ever since then I've saved every installer as soon as I receive it. Plus it keeps you from having to break out all of the CDs every time you need to re-install!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)