• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Your Favorite Merch

What are your favorite kinds of merch/which of these items have you picked up?

• Figures/plushies

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Wall Scrolls/Posters

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Accessories (Wrist bands/hair ties/key chains/lanyards/backpacks/satchels/sunglasses)

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Pins/badges (Broke these out because they're kind of a big/"staple" convention merch.)

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Clothing (Shirts/pants/socks/coats/shoes/etc.)

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Other household stuff (plates/mugs/bottles/ramen figures/towels/etc.)

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Music-related stuff (Keytars/keyboards/etc.)

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Gaming-related stuff (Game system skins/custom controllers)

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • DVDs/Blu-Rays

• CDs

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Stickers

• Books (art/light novels/software guides/etc.)

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Video Games

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Vocal Synth Boxes

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Stationery Items (Clear files, paper, pencils/pens, etc.)

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I was just wondering what kind of vocal synth merch people enjoy collecting the most. I figured we could have some fun with a poll to find out.

Which of the listed stuff have you picked up? Feel free to pick as many as you like!

Myself, I have several figures, a poster, a bunch of CDs, some concert videos, and a few articles of clothing. (I don't know why, I've been getting interested in clothing more lately, though I've only got like 2 things and probably won't grow that number much.)

Reactions: razelberii

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
I ticked all the boxes except music and gaming related stuff, assuming games themselves don't count(?). I like to get merch from a variety of categories.

When it comes to what kind of merch is my favourite, it's difficult to decide. Maybe figures and plushies would be #1 (though my current figure count is only 34 (soon 35) Miku figures, so I'm not exactly obsessed with getting every Miku out there). Overall it's hard to rank my favourite types of merch in order, I just buy whatever I feel like buying (ok, despite wanting a Dollfie Dream Miku I haven't bought one since they're hideously expensive).

I focus solely on Miku merch, I have only a couple of other Cryptonloid keychains and rubber straps, but yeah, I have almost all sorts of merch, and I think my collection is fairly sizeable already, though no match for harcore collectors who own pretty much all Miku figures and plushies ever made. But I'm not even aiming for that, at least not currently.

By the way, I think books should be an option in the poll (art books,manga, software guides etc).

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@hamano: Oh, that's a good point. I forgot to include books. I added a choice for them, as well as video games. (Which somehow I overlooked as well....)

Sounds like you have an awesome collection! 34 figures is quite respectable! I'm definitely nowhere close to that. (And soon you might be at 39, too ;) ).

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I voted for video games and novels.

Personally, I don't have room to be collecting figures (well, maybe I want one someday, it would probably be of Miku because there are so many nice figures of her, though she isn't necessarily in my top 5 favorite Vocaloids list).

I have no interest in plushies, decorations, or wearable items. I just don't use things like stickers, I don't want to express my love of a fandom through room decor, and I don't wear anime/otaku merch ever.

I also don't care about concerts (not just Vocaloid concerts, I wouldn't go to a concert for any band even if the ticket was free or they were my favorite singer on the planet), so I don't care about CDs or movies.

Video games are fun because my sister and I collect them, they are playable and last like 50ish hours before they get boring. (That's also kind of why I don't care about Vocaloid concert movies, why would I want to watch them sing/dance when I could be pressing buttons along with their singing/dancing? It's pretty much the same animation, anyway.) I have started to try to read Vocaloid-related light novels when I have time, though they are either enjoyable or just plain horrible. ^^;

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I own figures, two Vocaloid manga (Hatsune Mix and Mikubon), a Miku art book, one Hachune Miku plushie, one poster and some Project DIVA/Mirai games, as well as Megpoid: The Music (does anyone remember that game?).

Years ago, I would have been into clothes and accessories too, but since I'm currently going through a process of "maturing" my wardrobe (ack, adulthood and work/higher educaton), I now feel like fandom clothes feel too "childish" at my age, especially in front of polite company. (I turn 23 this week. Yes, I know I shouldn't feel ashamed for wearing fandom merch and I can wear it casually, but there aren't many opportunities to get away with wearing it in my life anymore). I guess if I ever went to a Vocaloid concert, I could get away with buying a souvenir tee and wearing it as an ordinary band tee.

I've been a Vocaloid fan for over ten years, yet I've never owned a physical Vocaloid CD... (Curse import fees! Plus, I hate buying digital albums. It never feels like I actually own the album).

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
I wouldn't say I have a "favorite" type of merch, I guess -- I'm the kind of person who buys whatever as long as it's merch of my favorite, orz.

I do like shirts a lot, though I'd really only ever wear it as casual clothes in my own house if the design is like... really loud and obvious (huge art of Miku front and center, for example). But if it's fairly subtle, I wouldn't mind wearing it outside. I have coworkers wearing graphic tees and fandom stuff since we don't have a strict dress code policy where I work (as long as we wear the company vest anything else goes), but a part of me still feels embarrassed to do that myself orz.

I do like keychains, though! Specifically acrylic charms. I have a cork board in my room specifically for hanging up all the ones I have, and I like looking at it.

I've gone out of my way to buy merch of my faves that I wouldn't ever consider buying for anyone else though just because of how rare it is for my faves to get merch in the first place, so I'm just kind of all over the place, aha.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
@Blue Of Mind, @Rylitah: I get where you're coming from about the clothes. I'm sort of coming at things from the opposite perspective--my clothes most of the time are kind of boring, since they're dress code-enforced. Even at home or out in public, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable wearing fandom stuff.

But what I've also found is that if I wear somewhat unusual stuff like that, no one really usually cares. Most people in the wider world are absorbed into whatever of their own stuff they're doing and will only look at you if they have to. And if they do look, typically it isn't the biggest deal. Lots of people wear Marvel/other stuff now, so it's getting more acceptable. And even if they do look, most of them won't have the guts to give you crap about it :) .

'Course, it could be the culture where I live is less petty/judgmental than in some other places. That's probably at least somewhat true. But typically the amount of resistance I anticipate is much less than what actually happens. Like I said, usually no one cares.

@Rylitah: I like your idea about the corkboard! I imagine that would be a pretty collection to look at.

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
I do like keychains, though! Specifically acrylic charms. I have a cork board in my room specifically for hanging up all the ones I have, and I like looking at it.
I forgot to mention this in my original post, but I also have a Miku keychain hanging on my bedroom corkboard. It used to hang off my actual house key, then I moved it to a zip handle on my backpack, and now it lives on my board.

@Blue Of Mind, @Rylitah: I get where you're coming from about the clothes. I'm sort of coming at things from the opposite perspective--my clothes most of the time are kind of boring, since they're dress code-enforced. Even at home or out in public, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable wearing fandom stuff.

But what I've also found is that if I wear somewhat unusual stuff like that, no one really usually cares. Most people in the wider world are absorbed into whatever of their own stuff they're doing and will only look at you if they have to. And if they do look, typically it isn't the biggest deal. Lots of people wear Marvel/other stuff now, so it's getting more acceptable. And even if they do look, most of them won't have the guts to give you crap about it :) .

'Course, it could be the culture where I live is less petty/judgmental than in some other places. That's probably at least somewhat true. But typically the amount of resistance I anticipate is much less than what actually happens. Like I said, usually no one cares.
My office's dress code is pretty much "use your common sense" (words from my supervisor), which I interpreted to mean 'no stuff like ripped jeans or graphic tees'. So I just wear normal jeans and plain shirts/turtlenecks all the time. No room for fandom stuff there.

I do live in an urban area, but unless you're wearing a shirt of something that's uber-popular or familiar (like a Marvel or DC shirt), sometimes people can be judgemental. I live in a somewhat-backwards part of the UK when it comes to politics and hobbies, and anime fans can get bullied if you're unlucky. In my high school, I barely knew anyone who liked anime or Japanese culture, so I stayed quiet about my interests in them to avoid bullies.

Saying all that though, I've never been legitimately harassed in public for how I dress. At worst, I get disapproval from my family, but that's because I like alternative fashion and my mom wishes I'd just dress exactly like her.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I didn't realize there were multiple people with concerns about wearing anime/Vocaloid types of shirts. I guess part of me thinks people should wear what they want to express themselves, but at the same time, I notice I react suprisedly when I see people wearing fandom stuff (even "normal" stuff like superheros or Star Wars, doesn't matter if they're a kid in a Spiderman hoodie or an adult with a graphic T-shirt, I just feel a jolt of "I know that character, how cute"). That being said, I don't wear anime stuff just because it doesn't match my spooky aesthetic (would rather wear a skeleton shirt than an anime shirt).

I was thinking about it, and I wonder if collecting vocal synth boxes counts as favorite merch? People like to take pics of them as if they were family photos and they get disappointed by digital only characters.

Reactions: mobius017
D

Discounted account

I do collect keyrings and badges/pins. Also pick figures and plushies cos do like them. Love my Hatsune Miku plush.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
In my high school, I barely knew anyone who liked anime or Japanese culture, so I stayed quiet about my interests in them to avoid bullies.
I think that's generally a wise decision. No reason to give people a target.

I guess this is a tangent, but I remember when anime was less accepted here than I think it is currently (I'm in the US.). I was in school then, too. I hadn't discovered anime/etc. yet then; in fact, I more or less remember when it appeared, and how for most people it was this strange new thing that we didn't understand where it came from, how it got here, why it was here, or how long it would stay. I remember a relative of mine who was a little more in the school in-crowd than I ever was telling me conspiratorially about how weird it was (Weird thing was, one of his other "in" friends was pretty into it, so I'm not sure how that worked.).

Well, a lot of the members of the in-crowd went on to do in-crowd things. Most of them went to college, joined the in-crowd party scene; some of them just barely graduated.

I picked up a liking for anime/etc., enjoyed it through college, didn't "just barely" graduate. Now I teach myself music and try to make Miku sing. I'm still different. But you know, I really don't regret it--not at all.
I notice I react suprisedly when I see people wearing fandom stuff (even "normal" stuff like superheros or Star Wars, doesn't matter if they're a kid in a Spiderman hoodie or an adult with a graphic T-shirt, I just feel a jolt of "I know that character, how cute").
That has to be the nicest reaction to something like that I've seen. :kaito_move:
I was thinking about it, and I wonder if collecting vocal synth boxes counts as favorite merch? People like to take pics of them as if they were family photos and they get disappointed by digital only characters.
Sure! I'll add an option for that.
They also make you feel like you are part of a Vocaloid secret society. :cybersongman_lili:
I love this so much. We should have a VVN pin or something! :)

Reactions: uncreepy

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
I think that's generally a wise decision. No reason to give people a target.

I guess this is a tangent, but I remember when anime was less accepted here than I think it is currently (I'm in the US.). I was in school then, too. I hadn't discovered anime/etc. yet then; in fact, I more or less remember when it appeared, and how for most people it was this strange new thing that we didn't understand where it came from, how it got here, why it was here, or how long it would stay. I remember a relative of mine who was a little more in the school in-crowd than I ever was telling me conspiratorially about how weird it was (Weird thing was, one of his other "in" friends was pretty into it, so I'm not sure how that worked.)
Anime is still sadly an obscure thing in the UK, even though it's just as much of a mainstay in British nerd and convention culture as it is in the US. People don't pay attention to any anime more intelligent than Pokemon. So if you were like me growing up in the 2000s, good luck finding any other anime fans in a large social circle, like school. The market exists in the UK, but the fandom is really scattered unless you know where to go in large cities (i.e. London, Manchester, Birmingham).

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I really like both figures and posters but I think I lean more towards posters because I'm bad at home decorating so it's way easier for me to just slap an anime poster on a wall than to find out what actually looks good. I rely on them to decorate a lot.

Reactions: peaches2217

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I'm so glad Synth Boxes was an option! My boxes have a special spot on my shelf. I wish someone made reproduction boxes, like they do with old video games; I got Gumi's V4s as downloads because that's $100 cheaper than a physical purchase, but I'm still so sad I can't put her on my shelf.

IMG_7048[655].jpg

• Love
Reactions: TheStarPalace

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
I have a HUGE collection of Funko POPs [including the Miku one >:) ]. I also collect dvds of my favorite cartoons (for practical reasons like if Hulu takes Invader Zim off, then I’ll still be able to watch it without any problems, and so that I can display it on a shelf proudly)

BambooGarden101

現実逃避
Aug 10, 2018
La-La Land
I like to collect figures and plushies (when I can afford them), badges, keyrings, mugs, and books/comics. The only videogame I currently own is a Project Diva game for the PSP (forgot the exact version) but I want to keep collecting more. And I'm not sure if this counts but I have a CD with the Zunda Horizon soundtrack.
I also voted for "stickers", though I usually get so emotionally attached to them that I just end up just hoarding them and not sticking them anywhere :ROFL::ROFL:

Also, I think there should be an option for stationery in the poll. I own a handful of Vocaloid pens, mechanical pencils, and "clear files" (for those of you who don't know, it's a kind of plastic folder popular in Japan), and I love to snap them up whenever I see one.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)