• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Discussion

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
We've had terraforming for about a week, but hadn't used it until yesterday because we didn't feel like playing the game lately. I really don't like it when games make me feel bad for not logging in, it's too similar to missing events in phone games and it sucks the fun out of it for us and I don't like feeling "controlled". But also the fact is, we got Final Fantasy 7 and I'd rather do motorcycle tricks than plant shrubs.

Anyway, we started to lay out our plans and discuss what we'd like in our town last night and it ended up being more fun that we thought it would be (stayed up too late). We have to move buildings around, but 1) it's stinking 50,000 bells each building (with a discount of 30,000 for your own house 🙃) and we keep crashing into fences and trees we put up to get a 3 star town, so we just decided to put cute paths with flowers around them. It's gonna take a long time to lay down everything and we don't clearly know what we want. But my sister wants her house on the beach still, so we're probably going to put all the villagers/shops in a "street" and put ours off in our own corners so we have room for orchards and flower gardens and stuff. Oh yeah, trying to move our buildings and stuff reminded me that only the town rep is able to move buildings (no infrastructure option with Nook at all), thanks, Nintendo...

(Done rambling now. 😅)

Edit: Wanted to clarify, we keep crashing into stuff cause we threw all our crud from our houses onto the beaches and put fences in random zig-zag patterns so it literally looked like "Ugly Island" or "Chaos Island" or something instead of "Sunny Bay".

Mika

crying over Rune Factory 6
Jul 5, 2018
Germany
I got Animal Crossing as a birthday present from my boyfriend and I'm having so much fun! I have to admit that I time traveled a little bit, so I already have the museum and the little shop after.. 2 days haha. I started with apples as my fruit and tulips as my flower and I'm so happy!! I really hoped for both and I got it! And my first 2 villagers (? or islanders?) are Hazel and Goose. I'm so lucky, both of them are super precious and Hazel is just so great! She also gave me my first emotion, so cute. We met Lucky and Fauna on our 2 island tours and invited them. Guess we will have a really weird mix of villagers haha. Everything is super fun and I'm really tempted to time travel more, but I only want to place buildings and stuff when my boyfriend is here so we can decide together... so I need to wait.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
I terraformed a bit today. It takes forever, how grueling. Everything does in this game, doesn't it? Having to buy items one at a time, having to painstakingly chop away at 2 tiered cliffs and climb on the ladder, off the ladder, erase the lower cliff, on the ladder, off the ladder, erase the water, erase more cliff, on the ladder, off the ladder, erase more water... And painting on the paths is hard, I wish they had a square appear where you're going to draw so you can aim it properly, I keep drawing, accidentally erasing, redrawing, accidentally erasing. Arggg. At least it looks fancier... But I won't ever be the same person again.

My sister talked to Redd and he was standing in the square. But when I logged in, he was nowhere to be found. I don't know if I couldn't talk to him because she already bought a painting or if it's because I'm not the town rep? (I terraformed the cliff to carve a giant path with waterfalls going down the sides leading up to his boat on the secret beach so you could actually see it/get to it without touching a dreaded ladder.)

Sep 21, 2019
I did my first villager trade today, and Redd also showed up. Surprisingly, the first painting I got wasn't a forgery! I don't know if forgeries are still a thing since the update just came out, but if they are, then, boy, it's gonna be a real gamble on paintings since I can't look at them before I buy them!

Also, if anyone's planning on doing villager trading online or locally with a friend, I think I should let you know there is some kind of glitch. Supposedly it's been patched but I don't know for sure. Here's a guide I found on trying to avoid the glitch.

Reactions: uncreepy

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I did my first villager trade today, and Redd also showed up. Surprisingly, the first painting I got wasn't a forgery! I don't know if forgeries are still a thing since the update just came out, but if they are, then, boy, it's gonna be a real gamble on paintings since I can't look at them before I buy them!
Forgeries are still a thing

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

Mika

Jul 5, 2018
Germany
We placed down the 3 houses and decided to let the 3rd villager to move in be random and we finally know who's going to move in: Flora!
Now we really have a fun mix of characters, I mean just look!
my villagers.png
Can't wait for the next ones! (But I do hope one of them will be my favorite haha..)

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
The painting we got from Redd was "Ophelia" by John Everett Millais (I think they call it "sinking painting" in the game if I remember right). Kind of cryptic (okay, really) for a PG game, since it's basically one of those "images that precede unfortunate events" type of paintings... I mean, I like how it looks, but I can't not think of the meaning behind it.

Anyway, I saw some people on Twitter fighting about if AC should have a feature to lay down multiple ground patterns at once and make carving through cliffs faster. Half wanted it, half thought it was "lazy". Like, I don't think sitting there for hours pressing the A button over and over is particularly fulfilling, my fat finger got tired out really fast from rubbing on the edges of the button. It would be nice if they had a feature like that, if they compromised by making you watch your character lay down each piece at once (rather than having it suddenly appear on the screen) or something.

Also, I wish Joey would get out of our town. We tried building a fence around his house but he escaped. We literally only talked to him once, but he won't leave. I just don't want a diaper wearing duck in my town. 😱

Lastly, the shop upgraded and they had it under construction yesterday. Have to turn on the game and see what it looks like/what they are selling. Hopefully it's some actually good furniture instead of just beanbags and cots all the time.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I bought some shrubs from Leif the other day (so far, it's really made my town look a lot nicer than just sticking flowers everywhere), and I also got the hedge recipe from Tom Nook today after discovering online how to get it. ^^; Redd also turned up in my town yesterday, so now the museum is being upgraded since I donated the painting I got from him, and my shop is also being upgraded tomorrow too!

I've been trying to terraform the top part of my island into "mountains", so I can properly divide it into an urban and rural side (complete with the pine trees for the rural bit), but I dunno how exactly I will pull it off yet. I've just made a path leading towards the secret cove where Redd will be later in between the "mountains", so now I'll have to take that into consideration.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Apologies for double posting again, but apparently, the art forgeries from Redd are haunted this time, as demonstrated in this video.

WARNING: Skip the first 17 seconds if you want to avoid a screamer! But seriously, where the hell is Redd getting his art from this time? This is some horror movie stuff...

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Yeah, people have been posting videos/screenshots for a while now. If you turn your painting around, there are blotches that look like shadow people on the back and some have eyes that move and stuff. Guess this is a more extreme version of previous AC games where it was just a fake that looked slightly different. (So in this game, they look different but are also haunted.)

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
oh yeah i saw something about this earlier, there's been a lot of postings about the haunted paintings. my honest opinion...? its a really cool feature. although i haven't gotten any haunted paintings yet, i... hope to get one? some? a lot???? the very slight effects are fascinating.

this also makes me want to point out, as someone who's never played any of the previous ac games, it's amazing how many little details are in acnh!!! especially interacting with furniture in homes. my favourite thing to do in my house is listen to the washing machine, it's so calming :) i also like to make my home completely silent so i can hear to my tiny humidifier go blublublublu

Mika

Jul 5, 2018
Germany
We spend some time grinding money for our houses, trying to catch new stuff for the museum and so on. Yesterday we could finally put down the campsite and today we had someone there. I went to take a look who it is and I already read that you have to take the first villager at the campsite. And uh... I mean.. it's.. fine.. I guess lmao. I won't be sad if he leaves tho haha.
my villagers.png
I also bought the amiibo card of my favorite villager, Lobo, so I'm waiting for it to come before I let anyone else move in. Can't wait for him to finally be here!

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
We spend some time grinding money for our houses, trying to catch new stuff for the museum and so on. Yesterday we could finally put down the campsite and today we had someone there. I went to take a look who it is and I already read that you have to take the first villager at the campsite. And uh... I mean.. it's.. fine.. I guess lmao. I won't be sad if he leaves tho haha.
I also bought the amiibo card of my favorite villager, Lobo, so I'm waiting for it to come before I let anyone else move in. Can't wait for him to finally be here!
What is that deer's name? They're so cute!

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Just wanna quick say that the whole Redd thing was weird for 2 people sharing a town. Only my sister could talk to him, when I'd log in, he literally wouldn't be standing in the square. I couldn't go in his boat until my sister did, either. When I talked to him on the boat, he just immediately said an abridged version (like 2 sentences long at best) that we were cousins so he was giving me a discount. I am just loving this 5 star treatment for non-town reps, really makes a girl feel special, y'know, not getting to give any sort of input at all and literally getting snubbed by Nook during celebratory events and things like that... 🙃

One thing I noticed for AC:NH is that a lot of people seem to care more about the overall design of their town as opposed to the actual rooms in their house. You see waaay more popular tweets featuring town designs, plus, when people run around their town to show it off, they don't go into their house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)