• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Other Cryptonloid voicebank updates, collabs, & concert news (crypton_wat Twitter translations)

Cookiez

Long time lurker that owns an account
May 20, 2020
I've always wondered what type of vocal CV04 could possibly be. Everybody seems to think it's a male vocal (which we need honestly) but I always wondered what it would be like. Young, Old, Energetic, Dark? I hope it's a vocal type that brings something new to the table because we we honestly lack a male vocal that's really got it's own bang to it. There are some, but the others seem to get lost in the others. In other words, i'm really looking forward to Crypton's future!
Also please bring back project if... i'm still counting on you.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I really am not too torn up about Crypton not going to V5, Cryptonloids have TONS of versions (V2, V3, V4) which people can purchase at any time and still use them. It's not like NT existing is going to make all Vocaloid versions disintegrate.
Definitely agree about V5; IMO, V5 doesn't really offer too much new over V4. I think the editor is nicer, and bundling the effects and ability to host WAV files in there was an attempt at making a DAW less necessary, but there wasn't much new given to the voices themselves. Outside of Vocal Fry, which, as well as I can tell, wasn't built into the voices either--it's an editor function.

It's just a theory of mine, but I think we'll see a lessening of support from CFM for the Vocaloid versions of the Cryptonloids once NT has been stabilized, though. It won't be immediate, I assume (They only removed Miku V3 from Sonicwire within the past year, I think.), but eventually I think you'll probably only be able to get Vocaloid versions of the Crypton gang from Amazon/Big Fish/etc. or second-hand.

Pewe

Aspiring Fan
Dec 7, 2019
I've always wondered what type of vocal CV04 could possibly be. Everybody seems to think it's a male vocal (which we need honestly) but I always wondered what it would be like. Young, Old, Energetic, Dark? I hope it's a vocal type that brings something new to the table because we we honestly lack a male vocal that's really got it's own bang to it. There are some, but the others seem to get lost in the others. In other words, i'm really looking forward to Crypton's future!
Also please bring back project if... i'm still counting on you.
Crack theory, but the fact that the edgy group from Project Sekai only has Miku as the support Virtual Singer makes me think that Crypton asked SEGA and Colorful Palette / Craft Egg / whatever other company is working on the project to reserve a spot for a planned CV04.

Reactions: Rolo

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
For what it's worth, Zunko isn't on UTAU herself, and the Voiceroid was first, as with most AHS vocals.

To be honest, at this point Tianyi is just as important as Miku to vocaloids health.

I wouldn't blame the failure of EVEC on Yamaha- it was just a lazy attempt to do appends without doing appends. And it's not like there are other companies developing way better English synths too- we literally have two commercial attempts outside of vocaloid, one of which isn't finished and the other having terrible english marketing and debated quality. Honestly, for English, as of right now- Vocaloid is still the best we're getting. I don't think it's possible to make a synth that will suddenly make synths "mainstream" in the West- after all, Japanese synths aren't really much different from English in the "realism" department, Miku just went for a cultural niche of "moe character" that doesn't exist and probably will never in the West.

Edit: tbh, I doubt we'll ever hear about a new character from Crypton again.

denev

beep beep
Oct 30, 2019
minnesnowtaaaa
soundcloud.com
For what it's worth, Zunko isn't on UTAU herself, and the Voiceroid was first, as with most AHS vocals.

To be honest, at this point Tianyi is just as important as Miku to vocaloids health.

I wouldn't blame the failure of EVEC on Yamaha- it was just a lazy attempt to do appends without doing appends. And it's not like there are other companies developing way better English synths too- we literally have two commercial attempts outside of vocaloid, one of which isn't finished and the other having terrible english marketing and debated quality. Honestly, for English, as of right now- Vocaloid is still the best we're getting. I don't think it's possible to make a synth that will suddenly make synths "mainstream" in the West- after all, Japanese synths aren't really much different from English in the "realism" department, Miku just went for a cultural niche of "moe character" that doesn't exist and probably will never in the West.

Edit: tbh, I doubt we'll ever hear about a new character from Crypton again.
Honestly, I think CV04 is more plausible now that crypton is doin their own thing.

Trevor

?
May 2, 2018
I worry about the potential future of a CV04 because at this point the Cryptonloids have been raised to such fame that I feel like they can't possibly make a newcomer fit into the group in a way that feels natural and that people like. It'd be difficult to navigate, that's for sure.
I don't think he will ever "fit in". Much like Kaito and Meiko don't really fit in among the cv series. While Crypton made efforts to better incorporate them in the v3 updates, they don't have the same appeal outside the fanbase. I feel like CV04 would fall into its own, uneasy niche. CV04 might still bring economic incentive if Crypton can generate enough hype around the engine due to the otaku nature of the fandom and a lack of unique voices for the new engine. CV04 won't be headlining concerts, but may not be dead (dependant on how NT's launch goes).

frankensalad

Passionate Fan
Feb 27, 2019
As I said way earlier in the thread, Crypton leaving Vocaloid is a much bigger shake up than IA or any of the other "almost as popular as Crypton" companies because Crypton's characters brought attention to the Vocaloid software and have become synonymous with the software as a result. IA and the others moving to a different engine when the grass turned out to be greener on the other side isn't as wild because they were only conceived AFTER singing synths were becoming popular, and since they never quite reached the same level of notoriety as Miku et al, they don't have as much re-branding to deal with. I pointed out when the PV for Seraphim on the Ring was released along side talks of Crypton leaving Vocaloid that the background artwork in the PV refers to the "Vocaloid Wrestling Federation" because the Crypton Characters are THE Vocaloids in the eyes of both the fandom and the lay person. I totally understand why Crypton is leaving Yamaha, I honestly feel like Yamaha should have been groveling at Crypton's feet and incorporating any and every feature they suggest since Yamaha's software clearly wouldn't be half has notorious if not for them. But to act like Crypton splitting from Vocaloid is going to have the same lack of impact on the community as any other company leaving Vocaloid is dishonest, even if it is the right choice for Crypton as a whole.

Reactions: Rolo

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Honestly, I think it would be really weird/wasteful if Crypton didn't make more characters for NT. Like... why would they bother spending over 2 years and who knows how much money making a completely brand new engine, and then just be like: (finishes putting Kaito, Meiko, Rin/Len, Luka on it) "We're done forever and never have to use this software ever again!" If we think Vocaloid's dead, wouldn't Crypton think it is as well and therefore have the opportunity to broaden the amount of characters they have?

I keep seeing people assuming at least 1 or 2 characters from Project Sekai could potentially get a vocal synth voice. I think that seems plausible. Using the game to get people familiar with them, they would probably have stats based on gameplay to know who is the most popular characters. I think if they are some spin off series and not part of CV, then people would probably be okay with it and it wouldn't be as awkward bringing them in.

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
I wonder if they are going to be the new Yamaha and license it out. I honestly don't see them just making 5 voices for it even though vocaloid 1 only had 5. I could see a couple of popular project sekai characters making the jump and having them in a new series. I do think the reason why MEIKO and KAITO doesn't feel included is that in the media like project diva they have less songs and the songs they do have use their original voice banks and sound comparably worse

Reactions: Blue Of Mind

Chuchu

Luka enthusiast
Jul 18, 2018
I'm confident that there will be new NT Characters and they won't abandon their own engine. Didn't Itoh mentioned in an 2016 Interview on wanting to revisite Project If again? Project If could be a possibility for NT, but Itoh also said that he fears the misuse of the children voices like in some of Kaai Yuki's case.

Last edited:

phantoCrystal

New Fan
Feb 13, 2019
Project if.... Oh man, now that would be REAL fun.
Honestly, I feel like getting gumi on the NT software would be a pretty good move, as I think she's one of the mooore popular non crypton vocaloids (especially for english songs!), I wonder if that would ever happen, or if them not doing anything for v5 means them not doing anything at all anymore... Hrmm.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Why would Crypton make a snazzy new vocal synth engine, only to just limit it to six (if you separate Rin and Len) first party VBs? I can definitely see them either making new Cryptonloids, or licensing the software out to third party devs (imagine if Gumi or even Teto moved to NT). I'm not sure if they'll ever revisit both CV04 or Project If at this point though (for the former, too much time has passed, so sticking him in as a new Character Vocal after so many years might not gel with the Cryptonloid fandom well. And for the latter, I don't think many public demostrations exist of the VB? Though I can still see their concepts being tweaked for NT).

I agree with the people who have suggested that one or two characters from Project Sekai could get NT VBs as cross-promotion. They would be separated from the established Crypton gang so they wouldn't have the problem of being too "new" against Miku and co., but people would still be hyped over them for being the first third party Piapro Studio banks.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion
Sep 21, 2019
Honestly, I would hope that third-parties would become interested in Piapro whether it be one of the companies we already know and love or a newcomer.

I wouldn’t be opposed to new Crypton vocals as long as they don’t try to make the new ones part of their character vocal series (I think it’d be kinda awkward to add in a new character since the CV series lineup hasn’t changed since 2008-ish) and made them their own “thing” instead. (Truth be told I don’t know if I’d be cool with them changing the dynamic of the CV series.)

While I’d love to see Internet move their vocals to Piapro, I don’t know how beneficial it’d be for them given their vocals are leaning more towards realistic while Wat wants a more er, was it robotic? type feel to the vocals.

Let’s say some Vocaloid companies do jump ship from Vocaloid to Piapro and assuming Piapro doesn’t have that odd nasal issue/engine noise problem Vocaloid does, I could see the vocals that had issue with Vocaloid wanting in on Piapro.
(Except for Yamaha vocals because Yamaha would probably want those to stay on their own engine.)

I have faith that CFM knows what they’re doing, and they’ve yet to disappoint me with their Vocaloids so I think the future is bright for them.

And who knows? Maybe in a theoretical situation, if Internet (or another company with more “realistic” type vocals) takes an interest Crypton might come up with some way to “adjust” the engine to work for both realistic and robotic vocals. (It’d be cool if that was on the user’s end so we could adjust how realistic vs “robotic” we want the vocals, haha.)

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
While I’d love to see Internet move their vocals to Piapro, I don’t know how beneficial it’d be for them given their vocals are leaning more towards realistic while Wat wants a more er, was it robotic? type feel to the vocals.
He kept saying "not necessarily human-sounding". Honestly, I feel like he said that just because of how Miku NT alpha sounded when she got used on Shinkalion/the STV collab time period over a year ago. I think it was because of the technology not sounding realistic and more like a "this is fine" comment (cough). He said he wanted to make vocals that could rap, too, but I honestly feel like you need an extremely high level of realism to achieve convincing rapping with a vocal synth... And since then, they've kept tweaking Miku and she sounds much better than when they first showed her off.

I know people don't believe me that Beef Jerky (the voice analysis synthesizer) could be related to NT, but seriously, why would Ryo bother feeding it hours worth of human voice model examples, prepare an iPhone interface using JUCE (the same thing used for Cherry Pie, they even look the same/have some of the same items like aperiodicity) if it's not related to future Crypton plans? Ryo made most of the effectors (including the main work of programming the deep learning bit of Cherry Pie vocoder). I honestly can't see him just doing it as a side pet project, I strongly think that's why they haven't shown us Cherry Pie since that March demo and are refraining from including it in the prototype release even though it was the big hype. They're probably trying to spiff it up some more. And we don't even know how Cherry Pie is connected to the NT interface, maybe they never even were connected at all back then and that's why the demo just showed Cherry Pie not along with Piapro Studio NT?

Cookiez

Long time lurker that owns an account
May 20, 2020
I worry about the potential future of a CV04 because at this point the Cryptonloids have been raised to such fame that I feel like they can't possibly make a newcomer fit into the group in a way that feels natural and that people like. It'd be difficult to navigate, that's for sure.
I've always had this fear, it's just the cryptonloids have had so much history and memories associated with that only comes with time and nostalgia. It isn't something you can just get immediately by introducing a new Cryptonloid. I also feel like a lot of people will refuse it, like their existence as a crypton and only see the sacred four (Miku, Rin/Len, and Luka).Like the old comers (back when vocaloid was considered a "middle school phase" boy were they wrong.) what if they suddenly see the new addition? I feel like they'll still be stuck with the main four, just for the sake of nostalgia.
It's sort a sad for CV04 (if it even happens) already, they've missed out on so much because of time that it's already affecting them, even before their existence.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
To be honest, Internet being on NT seems wildly unlikely because Crypton is their biggest competitor (not just for voice synths, as online music platforms for Japan). Remember they only got into Vocaloid in the first place to keep up with Crypton.

To be honest, the nasal issue seems to be near universal rather than Vocaloid specific- every synth has it, especially with higher female voices.

I wonder if Crypton is even interested in third-party NT banks- they seem to want their six banks to be their own thing with no real outside presence tbh.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
I think we'll have to wait for Crypton to release all of their vocals on NT before they even think about allowing third-party banks, considering how much effort they put into the Cryptonloid brand. Maybe after that we'll see some, but it won't be for a while I feel.

Internet probably won't touch it, anyway. They were already pretty done with making voice synths by the time V5 came around it seems, and even then I don't think that they'd choose to go to the engine of one of their direct competitors rather than something more neutral like CeVIO or SynthV.

Chuchu

Luka enthusiast
Jul 18, 2018
People will have a more positive reaction to a new Cryptonloid than being opposed by it. I hear more complaints about Crypton's constant cycle of updates and them not doing something new already. Being a new Crypton character after more than 11 years will give the vocal plenty of attention.

I have the feeling that Crypton won't mind third party vocals as long as they don't have to be involve in the production and marketing.
They will just concentrate on Miku and co. Financially, it would make sense to license their engine out. It would give Piapro Studio NT more longevity and bring new customers in who weren't interested in the Cryptonloids.

Might also entice those people to buy Miku and co. due to limited options. This would also justify the consumer to support a potential Piapro Studio 2 and other Crypton products in the future.

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
I wonder if Crypton is even interested in third-party NT banks- they seem to want their six banks to be their own thing with no real outside presence tbh.
Tbh, i wouldn't count Crypton out of doing anything outside of the CV series. IIRC, when Ruby was being developed, one of the potential companies they went to was Crypton, and they did offer to help develop her, but the dev team ultimately went with PFX. Also, Crypton has been trying since the early 2010s to make new Vocas, but they didn't have the chance to because they got caught in an endless loop of doing updates.

Make plans for new Vocas-> New Vocaloid engine comes out-> Quickly try to update all current vocals to new engine-> Make plans for new Vocas-> New engine comes out
And repeat and repeat...
But Crypton isnt bound to random new updates from Yamaha anymore. Now that they're in control of the synth engine, this gives them more leeway to do what they want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)