• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID How do you guys discover new VOCALOID music?

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
Whenever I'm in the mood to discover new songs, I take a look at the daily Vocaloid rankings. Its rules are great (compared to the popular Weekly Vocaran that's just.... a producer popularity contest at this point and has been for years) so the same song can't be #1 twice in a row, but other songs that weren't quite #1 will still show up on other days until either it hits #1 or becomes too old to be eligible for the dailyran. There's also a pickup corner in the end that shows new songs that kind of range from brand new to a week or two old, but didn't rank high enough to actually be in the top ten. I've found a lot of good new songs this way. Of course, it only applies to songs posted on Nico, but I'll check out songs that my friends send me or play during (what used to be) Rabbit sessions.

I don't generally like to click on random songs that show up in my recommendations even though that's what 90% of my recommendations are because... I don't know, haha. I like listening to snippets of many songs at once and figuring out what I like from those snippets and then going out of my way to listen to the full version vs listening to entire songs one by one.

FluoroLime

cangqiong
Apr 27, 2020
Whenever I'm in the mood to discover new songs, I take a look at the daily Vocaloid rankings. Its rules are great (compared to the popular Weekly Vocaran that's just.... a producer popularity contest at this point and has been for years) so the same song can't be #1 twice in a row, but other songs that weren't quite #1 will still show up on other days until either it hits #1 or becomes too old to be eligible for the dailyran. There's also a pickup corner in the end that shows new songs that kind of range from brand new to a week or two old, but didn't rank high enough to actually be in the top ten. I've found a lot of good new songs this way. Of course, it only applies to songs posted on Nico, but I'll check out songs that my friends send me or play during (what used to be) Rabbit sessions.

I don't generally like to click on random songs that show up in my recommendations even though that's what 90% of my recommendations are because... I don't know, haha. I like listening to snippets of many songs at once and figuring out what I like from those snippets and then going out of my way to listen to the full version vs listening to entire songs one by one.
Oooohh I didn't know that ranking system existed~ I'll definitely check it out.
I tend to look up "vocaloid original" and sort by newest on YouTube (this week, this month, etc.) I've found a lot of lesser known producers/songs this way!
Oooh that's a smart idea. I love love LOVE engloids so it'd probably be easier to find Western originals that way.

Raku

Aspiring Fan
Jun 16, 2018
Indonesia
Because I understand Japanese, I usually look at vocaloid producers' tweet on Twitter. What they tweet, retweet, or if they assist someone else's work.

But I have seven ways for you to find new songs. Yes, Seven. Not including anything mentioned above. I found it from reading Japanese post about how to search for vocaloid songs, and some I found while browsing the internet.
  1. Vocalonobis (Website)
    Vocaran (Vocaranking) is already mentioned above, but Vocalonobis is another vocaloid chart that was calculated differently from vocaran on niconico. You can add Tags (I'll explain Tags later) or you can leave it blank and change the sort type.

Some of the sort options are:
    今日の注目 (Today's Highlight), this shows songs that has more points compared to yesterday's points,
    ポイント順 (Sorted by Points), this shows songs with most (cumulative, since they're uploaded) points.
    新着のみ(New addition only), only shows new uploaded songs (Vocalonobis appears to update its database on 6 AM everyday)
    週間ランキング (Weekly), weekly rank, sorted by points. If a song ranked 1st on day 1, they have 100 points, song ranked 2 on day 1 get 99 points, and accumulation of these points in 7 days is what you will get.
    月間ランキング (Monthly), same as above, but song ranked 1st receive 50 points, song ranked 2nd receive 49 points and so on.

2. vgperson's Vocaloid Highlights (Website)
    vgperson is a well-known subber back in the days (few years ago?), other than that she also translates game such as Lieat/Alicemare iirc. You can see all songs list by artist (alphabetical) or by artist with most songs. You can also see Monthly highlights that ranged from December 2011 to March 2020.

You may think that you don't want to be confined to one person's taste, now wait a minute. In this highlights the songs are divided into 1) Stand-outs and 2) Worth Your Time. vgperson's highlights for March 2020 Have 20 stand outs and 84 Worth Your Time. Assuming one song is 3 minutes it will take you 312 minutes or 5 hours and 12 minutes to listen to all of them. Let's have faith in vgperson that can have 100 pickups even after it's filtered.

3. Vocaloard (Twitter | Website)
    Youtube Vocaloid Ranking Chart. Yes, you read that right. Someone made a Youtube Vocaloid Music chart. It's even available in English so you can check it out without me explaining anything. If there's anything bad about it, it's the fact that I find english subbed songs that was uploaded without permission also appear in the chart.

4. Twitter Hashtags
    #vocanew is an example of hashtag that is made to share vocaloid songs, as far as I know any vocaloid listener can use it to share new vocaloid songs they found. Another one is #vocaloPost. It's recently created by Chiitana, Chiitana states that this tag is specifically used only by [Japanese?] VocaloP (Utau and Cevio is also allowed) and only used for new upload tweet only (compilation tweet / introduction tweet for example, should not use this tag).

5. Vocanico (Website)
    Niconico's Vocaloid music portal, Daily ranking, hourly ranking, derivative work ranking(Utattemita [vocal cover] / Odottemita [dance cover] / Ensoushitemita [instrumental cover,etc] ) is available. Newly added song is also available.

6. Nico Nico Douga's Tag
    Now, check this vocaloid-related tags. Among hundreds of tags listed, there are VOCAJAZZ , VocaR&B , 夜のうた (Night song), VOCALOID春曲 (Spring song), お洒落なGUMIうた (Cool Gumi song), さわやKAITO (Refreshing Kaito Song), even my favorite niche genre Poemloid. Remember the tags I touched on Vocalonobis above? You can insert the nico tags there, you can search the nico nico douga with this tags obviously. BUT if you have Nico Nico Douga account, you can follow these tags, and you can check it anytime from your NND's mypage! You want specific search? Go to number 7!

7. Gokulin (website)
    Click on タグ検索, and insert tags that you want, if you want only vocaloid songs only, try VOCALOIDオリジナル曲 (vocaloid original song) and you can go more specific, date the video is uploaded, minimum amount of views, max amount of views (you can search for say, songs with more than 1000 but less than 10000 views). Here I search for VOCALOIDオリジナル曲 uploaded from 26th april to 2nd May, with 1000 to 20000 views, and sorted by amount of Mylist (NND's user personal playlist).
How was it? Vocaloid's musical scene is a vast, big place. Probably that's why this forum is called Vocaverse. Have fun finding new songs!:kaito_smile_lili:

Sep 21, 2019
Finally!! A way to find songs without relying on YouTube’s horrible algorithm.

As for how I find new songs, sometimes I’ll just go to Nico, search the name of a synth that I like, and sort by newest first,

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I'm another lazy person who just uses YT's recommended tab, but success is very much 50-50... While I have discovered gems that way, I've also tended to find stuff I don't like. Plus, the tab is now broken in the sense that it keeps recommending stuff you've already watched.

Elsa12TMNT

Uses Too Many Obsolete UTAUs
I tend to look for new artists by seeing who the current artists I listen to are connected with. I also follow a lot of cover artists, and if they make a cover of a song I've never heard and I end up enjoying it, I tend to check out the artist. Occasionally I'll click on something Youtube recommends to me just to see what's up, though usually I'm recommended new songs from producers I already listen to.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Follow a bunch of people in the fandom on Twitter and see what they're retweeting/uploading.
Check out the PVs uploaded on the VocaVerse forums (specific fanclubs for each Vocaloid or The Stage > Music Releases & PVs).
VocaDB (can search for specific stuff like genre and which Vocaloid was used in different songs).
Ask people on VocaVerse Discord/other vocal synth Discords to share their YouTube playlists/favorite songs.

Mine is not very sophisticated, but it works for me. I typically go on a VOCALOID song spree every month or so. I'll often end up with at least twenty songs to add to my playlist. But I just look up the name of the VOCALOID I'm interested in (I usually do this in alphabetical order... just because, I guess). Then, whatever looks interesting to me, I click on. I'll add it to my playlist for later if I like it. I've found a lot of great songs over the years doing this.

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
-Twitter. I follow my favourite producers so it's practically impossible to miss new music from them. And people who aren't producers tend to tweet/retweet music from a wider range of producers.

-NicoNico. From time to time I just search for music and sort by newest. Then just browse around the search results. Or look at the rankings of recent Vocaoid music and see what's popular.

-Youtube. This is more of a case of stumbling upon something in recommendations or notifications of uploads from the producers I follow.

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
like everyone else here, for me it's primarily niconico. i follow a lot of producers on there so i'm easily notified when someone produces a new song. imo i feel like niconico is the best in terms of searching for the "new n popular" bcos that's where a lot of original vocaloid content sprouts. (not dissing yt or any other source, a lot gets put out there too). looking at the rankings of vocaloid music that's been posted recently is my goto for finding new vocal-synth music.

a lot of ppl are mentioning VocaDB and while i use it sometimes, i still prefer niconico (or maybe i just don't know how to properly use VocaDB???). VocaDB's recent song searching feature is nice, however sometimes it feels like it's missing obvious songs. but that's just based off my *few* experiances so maybe i should stfu :)

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I also do the looking up "Vocaloid original" on YouTube and sort by newest, or check VocaDB

Since I mostly listen to Engloids now, it makes It both easier and harder to find songs. At least for Avanna, it's very easy to just look up "Avanna original" and get results for just her considering her unique name

mkm

New Fan
May 4, 2020
I recommend this weekly ranking video that has been running since 2007.This is a video of Hatsune Miku's 10th anniversary week.
It's not important, but I'm Japanese to know this site about 30min ago.It's fun because there are lots of interesting notes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

Overcast Immortal

Budding producer
Dec 4, 2018
USA
www.youtube.com
I also do the looking up "Vocaloid original" on YouTube and sort by newest, or check VocaDB

Since I mostly listen to Engloids now, it makes It both easier and harder to find songs. At least for Avanna, it's very easy to just look up "Avanna original" and get results for just her considering her unique name
It's quite the nightmare to find songs featuring Bruno. Luckily he's not exactly my favorite. I like him, but it's so hard to find songs with him because of his name. A bunch of Bruno Mars songs keep showing up instead. It's so much easier when they have very distinguished names.

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
Most of the time I use YouTube for new songs. Since my favorite vocaloids are Engloids, I just have to type exactly "Daina Vocaloid original" and then just scroll till I find something that catches my eye. It's a little sad cuz a lot of the ones I like the most, the producer isn't active for months or even years. I'm also subscribed to a couple of producers, but I only have the time to watch a small handful of new uploads and forget to watch the rest.

Twitter also helps me keep track of new uploads of my favorite producers, and sometimes works of new ones also show up on my timeline, so that's also a pro. But same thing with YouTube, I can't really watch it first thing, so I just save the link to my bookmarks, but then I forget about it for a month or two.

As you can see, I procrastinate even with watching videos XD

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
I don't look often, but when I do I usually check up on producers I know first and then if I want to look for music using a specific vocal I'll take advantage of Niconico's tagging system. On Bilibili I usually just namesearch and sort by new.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)