• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

CeVIO Kafu announced for CeVIO AI (Early 2021)

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
her voice is tempting me in the sense that i generally like her tone and that lower pitched stuff, thats not even in engine mind you (and would probably sound better), sounds pretyt nice.. its such a pain! and i cant imagine theyll say "you can pitch her down!!" so i am just mind boggled over why they even did what they did?? idk. just amazes me what they decided to do up until this point. its really not a terrible voice but i think they put their priorities in the wrong place.

KingPapillon

vocal synth weirdo
Nov 2, 2020
I think they are just really afraid of messing with Kaf's iconography and status as a digital figure and artist, and tbh its understandable. Kaf has a super distinct sound to her voice, and she is already a "virtual idol" in her own right. Design wise, KAFU just looks like a recolor of Kaf's already existing model. KAFU in her deeper voice would probably confuse newcomers to Kaf's music. Its so messy, it makes me question what their original intention and vision for KAFU truly was.
If they want KAFU to succeed on her own by making her the new big "Vocaloid" on the block, they need to really make her as appealing as possible, but if she is to be just an extension of Kaf, she really needs something else to distinguish herself from Kaf, because as it is, trying to explain the situation to people who don't know very much about voice synths sounds like it'd be confusing.

Its really also interesting, because in the scope of major voice synth releases, this is the first time ever where one wholly digital figure voices another, and we can now see the issues that would arise in such a case. Celebrity singers in the past like Gackt and Lia never had to worry about these issues because Gakupo and IA were so distinct in both sound and character, and they both had very different fans and demographics that they appealed to. KAFU and Kaf are both on the exact same media platforms, both sound and look extremely similar, and they're both gunning for the same target audience. What can even be done at this point? Can they both achieve and maintain success without hurting each other? idk

Last edited:

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I really enjoy her voice type when it's pitched down, when it's not pitched down it has potential for certain songs, but for the vast majority of music she'll sound chipmunky and out of place which is unfortunate. So far her demos are the kind of songs that I think she sounds out of place in. In some electronic bubblegum pop songs, she'd sound right at home with her normal pitch. She needs to sing a smile.dk song or something.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
I think they are just really afraid of messing with Kaf's iconography and status as a digital figure and artist, and tbh its understandable. Kaf has a super distinct sound to her voice, and she is already a "virtual idol" in her own right. Design wise, KAFU just looks like a recolor of Kaf's already existing model. KAFU in her deeper voice would probably confuse newcomers to Kaf's music. Its so messy, it makes me question what their original intention and vision for KAFU truly was.
If they want KAFU to succeed on her own by making her the new big "Vocaloid" on the block, they need to really make her as appealing as possible, but if she is to be just an extension of Kaf, she really needs something else to distinguish herself from Kaf, because as it is, trying to explain the situation to people who don't know very much about voice synths sounds like it'd be confusing.

Its really also interesting, because in the scope of major voice synth releases, this is the first time ever where one wholly digital figure voices another, and we can now see the whole host of issues that will arise in such a case. Celebrity singers in the past like Gackt and Lia never had to worry about these issues because Gakupo and IA were so distinct in both sound and character, and they both had different fans and demographics that they appealed to. KAFU and Kaf are both on the exact same media platforms, and they're both gunning for the same target audience. What can even be done at this point? Can they both achieve and maintain success without hurting each other? idk
its annoying, because it is understandable how they want to separate them and make them not the same, but also same enough that kafu gets attention. but it seems to me that they shouldve figured out more of this 1) before recording the bank as it was and 2) showing it to the public before they decided the outcome of the voice.

it really is just a big mess they caused for themselves, and while im sure they wouldve gotten some hate had they figured this all out behind the scene before showing it off, i feel the benefits wouldve been worth it in the end. but its hard to say from my western perspective, as the japanese fanbase still seems to be going wild over kafu anyways!

___

Oct 8, 2019
That would've been fine if their intention were to make Kafu completely separate from Kaf, I don't think anyone would have had issue with that, but it wasn't, it was last minute decision and the quality suffered from it and that's the issue. As @morrysillusion said it's something they should've figured out beforehand and it shows lack of direction that resulted in inferior product.

Its really also interesting, because in the scope of major voice synth releases, this is the first time ever where one wholly digital figure voices another, and we can now see the issues that would arise in such a case. Celebrity singers in the past like Gackt and Lia never had to worry about these issues because Gakupo and IA were so distinct in both sound and character, and they both had very different fans and demographics that they appealed to. KAFU and Kaf are both on the exact same media platforms, both sound and look extremely similar, and they're both gunning for the same target audience. What can even be done at this point? Can they both achieve and maintain success without hurting each other? idk
The same situation happened with Fukase, he has such strict license so people can't claim they got Fukase ( the voice provider ) to sing their songs because he and the vocaloid version are extremely alike.

KingPapillon

vocal synth weirdo
Nov 2, 2020
The same situation happened with Fukase, he has such strict license so people can't claim they got Fukase ( the voice provider ) to sing their songs because he and the vocaloid version are extremely alike.
I almost forgot about the case of Fukase, and its true! And the problem is exacerbated here because Kaf is also trying to occupy the same digital girl space.

Also here's a comparison of KAFU and Kaf's models;
With 0 context I'd just assume they were both the exact same character or something..
cover-17.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Rolo

Watch Levius and Stan Natalia Cromwell
Sep 16, 2019
so i guess this hasnt been shared yet lol?

and for the sake of it, here was my 3 semitone pitch down, just to remember what couldve been PITCHホログラム 一二三 feat.可不

i already spoke some thoughts on my status so i dont have much to add
Is there anyway you could upload that pitch down onto YouTube or SoundCloud? It’s really great. I like the sound of the original song but the vocals are way too high for me to listen to sadly 😔

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I like the song, but it's making me wish it was sung by a VB other than Kafu - her cutesy voice doesn't fit the background music.

The pitched down version is getting me upset over how Kafu turned out again, because a VB that sounded closer to the original Kaf would have worked with the song a lot better than the final version of Kafu.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
Is there anyway you could upload that pitch down onto YouTube or SoundCloud? It’s really great. I like the sound of the original song but the vocals are way too high for me to listen to sadly 😔
i dont think i will repost this pitched down cover bc my intention is not to put it on places where it could take away attention from the original upload. but here is a link to a download of the pitched down version

Reactions: Rolo and WyndReed

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Apr 8, 2018
???, New York
I listend to some of Kaf’s covers and there are spots where her singing id muffled. I’m starting to think that some of Kafu’s muffled quality comes from how Kaf sings rather than poor quality recordings and that the quality issues are mainly from whatever pitching/edits they’ve done to the vb.

___

Oct 8, 2019
Kafu was definitely less muffled in her type A/externally pitched up type B form. It's safe to assume the most severe muffled-ness comes from the heavy editing done to her samples.
This is going to be super speculative and coming from a limited point of view so if I say any bs pls correct me.

But I can hear obvious drop in quality, it is important to note that my japanese language skills are limited but she does sound very muffled to me, beforehand I could make out the phonemes she's singing like:

I can make out that she sang "zenbu"

But here it straight up sounds like gibberish:

And one thing I am speculating on is that maybe since they're not pitching type A after rendering it but actually..the vb itself?? It's messing with the AI? Because here the tuning sounded a lot more messier, it was disgustingly pitchy and I could hear errors. It could be that the 1st sample we heard was more heavily edited but then why wouldn't they edit it the same way here too?
However I'd like to hear her singing the same song again for comparison to see how she's improved.

Rolo

Watch Levius and Stan Natalia Cromwell
Sep 16, 2019
That’s really a shame to me that the VB sounds like that when it doesn’t have to. If they really did edit the voice because they don’t want it to be like the actual singer it’s kinda no point making the VB especially if it’s going to be low quality. When it comes to high pitched female sounding VB’s there are more than enough of those, that’s why a VB like Iroha or Luka is so nice to me because their voice isn’t like that and, with the pitch down it seems this VB could’ve been another VB along that line. But instead they’re just going to go for whatever this is despite how not good it sounds. Makes me a little worried for flower.

___

Oct 8, 2019
Thats the 1st time I am hearing of this.

What I've heard: Kaf's name is technically Kafu but the "u" is omitted when speaking and to differentiate between the two we do pronounce the "u" in Kafu's name ( and ofc in romaji we also make the differenc present ). It's only different pronunciation. Feel free to correct me tho.

Cevio wiki had been doing some weird stuff as of late from what I've seen, I'd say take what they write with a grain of salt.

KingPapillon

vocal synth weirdo
Nov 2, 2020
Thats the 1st time I am hearing of this.

What I've heard: Kaf's name is technically Kafu but the "u" is omitted when speaking and to differentiate between the two we do pronounce the "u" in Kafu's name ( and ofc in romaji we also make the differenc present ). It's only different pronunciation. Feel free to correct me tho.

Cevio wiki had been doing some weird stuff as of late from what I've seen, I'd say take what they write with a grain of salt.
yeah this is probably most definitely correct, but i was wondering if i missed something???? cevio wiki is weird

Reactions: Nezuh and ___

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Man I remember wanting the Type A to win so bad when that poll first dropped. I really think they shot themselves in the foot with the Type B. The pitched down song stuff sounds so good too! What a shame. In any case, I'm not one to wish ill on any projects like these. I hope Kafu does well.

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
I’ll be honest: Her voice has grown on me, and doesn’t sound COMPLETELY terrible to me in its pitched state (maybe its cuz when a favorite character got an UTAU bank, they completely messed up his voice, and KAFU’s voice is bearable compared to his)

I’m def gonna be following up on KAFU’s development, tho i don’t have the highest hopes for her

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)