• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

SynthV Synthesizer V Discussion Thread

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
I think Dreamtonics is in desperate need of a better QA process, all of their major updates have caused serious crashes and bugs for years now. Free updates are fantastic, but they need to do a thorough bug check on every VB first. :kyo_ani_lili:

That's a big task, and one reason why other companies do slower update cycles. In my opinion it's worth the time - I want to be able to appreciate the new features without worrying about my VB's quality taking a dip.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Honestly the main issue seems to be that Timbre Expression in the AI Retakes panel is set to 100% at default - this works fine for some databases but causes a fair few others to sound a bit odd. Seems to be worse for Third Party voices but in that case it would also partially be on the Third Party themselves to check that the database is behaving as it should before confirming the update can be pushed. Perhaps that's why Xingchen Infinity doesn't have HDVM support yet? The First Party vocals all work very well with it.

For now the best advice I have is making sure the Global Setting for Timbre is somewhere from 0%~50% in general since the voice will naturally become more unstable the higher that is, and to take advantage of the retakes to try and get better results. It doesn't fix everything but I do think if that had been known from the start (or indeed it was set to 0% as default) then there wouldn't be as much noise being made about it. Same thing happened with Instant Mode when it released so I'm not sure why they did it this way...

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
question regarding updates and all. i have saved every old update i got, but i wasnt ever sure if it was possible to just easily install it again? if i install this new update, can i just run the old update exe and get it back, or do i need to reinstall Synth v entirely in order to have the previous version?

___

Oct 8, 2019
question regarding updates and all. i have saved every old update i got, but i wasnt ever sure if it was possible to just easily install it again? if i install this new update, can i just run the old update exe and get it back, or do i need to reinstall Synth v entirely in order to have the previous version?
yup u can just easily install it again! have done it in the past, no need for uninstalling and stuff, just run it like normal. but be sure to downgrade ur vbs if they've been updated along with the editor.

Cluemily

cherish chika
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 25, 2018
www.youtube.com
AHS Tweeted out about the update, giving the advice to lower the expressiveness feature's percentage to hopefully improve output. They're also now offering users the ability to download a previous version of Karin, Maki JP/EN, Tsuina-chan, Seika, Saki, Ryo and Kevin via the My Page function of their website. (You can register the VBs even if you didn't buy them via AHS; I've registered my Kevin that I got via the Dreamtonics store. You can also get the Pro editor update and versions as far back as 1.4 there.)

(Also worth noting that if you downgrade your editor, downgrade the voices first and then save your projects with the downgrades, and then do so. Files created in 1.7 are crashing when opened in older versions of the editor otherwise.)

TOKYO6 also Tweeted about it, and I think mention the Karin version has her vocal mode update without the HDVM function, and will be monitoring Rikka's update and Chifuyu's development.

(I got Maki's downgrade to 105 and she still has her vocal modes, as a note.)

Last edited:

DesukaP

New Fan
Feb 3, 2022

Uh oh... Tokyo 6 is MAD.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
I translated it here. If anything this is the first... level headed response I've seen rather than them being mad.
They've requested that Dreamtonics review their QA process and consider the user experience a little more essentially, as well as expressing hope that there can be closer cooperation with third parties in future to avoid embarrassing situations like this.

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
Yeah, I was a bit shocked to see how fast TOKYO6 and AHS both made previous versions of their vocals available. I noticed Tsuina-chan's twitter was freaking out a bit as well after people started reporting how much worse Tsuina apparently was after the update.

Dreamtonics/Synth V as a whole seems to be the center of quite a bit of controversy lately. I don't care at all for engine wars and just like to see every company doing it's best, but it is very clear it's losing a lot of goodwill with the parts of the vocal synth community that supported it most. I really hope they learn from this, it'd be a shame for things to keep going downhill.

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
Alright. So the update came just as I was finishing up the video for a new Solaria release. Perfect timing!
  • 1.7.0 still has random clicks and pops, but now with rare wacky moments that aren't clicks and pops, but are kind of muddled sounding.
  • Solaria still has harsh plosives, but maybe that's a voicebank issue.
  • Unwanted pitched frequencies still show up in the aspiration output, which unnecessarily increases the amplitude of those frequencies in the aggregate waveform. Although the frequency range where this happens seems to have changed.The best fix I have for this is to render separate pitched and aspiration files, then merge them in my DAW with the phase inverted on one of the files.
  • The new "takes" thing is interesting in concept, but in practice it is all over the place.
I wish Mr. Hua would spend more time polishing what's there rather than adding and adding and adding. As a non-tuner, SynthV AI is great, but it's still really noisy and harsh sounding. Oh well, either SynthV gets polish, or other companies overtake. Either way works for me.

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
I think Dreamtonics is in desperate need of a better QA process, all of their major updates have caused serious crashes and bugs for years now. Free updates are fantastic, but they need to do a thorough bug check on every VB first. :kyo_ani_lili:

That's a big task, and one reason why other companies do slower update cycles. In my opinion it's worth the time - I want to be able to appreciate the new features without worrying about my VB's quality taking a dip.
It's not about slower update cycles. For example Reaper updates very frequently, but it's not haphazard. Most updates are fixes and tweaks, something that SynthV desperately needs. On the other hand, new Reaper features appear in public beta versions very early on in their development, but won't be included in official releases for months and months and months. This system works well for Reaper, and keeps fixes and improvements flowing while simultaneously ensuring that new features work as intended.

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
I translated it here. If anything this is the first... level headed response I've seen rather than them being mad.
They've requested that Dreamtonics review their QA process and consider the user experience a little more essentially, as well as expressing hope that there can be closer cooperation with third parties in future to avoid embarrassing situations like this.

embarrassing situations? Can anyone explain what happened?

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
embarrassing situations? Can anyone explain what happened?
The latest SynthV updates to the AI models are creating effects that aren't desired by a lot of users, and 3rd party companies are voicing their complaints, because the output of their libraries are so intimiatley associated with the engine updates. It seems that these updates weren't developed with the third parties in mind. At the time of release, they developed their VBs for a certain engine, but now the engine has changed, and the output isn't what consumers initially expected or purchased.

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
Anyone else that installed the update has been having a weird amount of crashes? I wanted to give it a shot so I was trying to tune something and the editor kept crashing, this never happened before either TvT
Sorry, no crashes here.

Reactions: Maxi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)