• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
I think Mitchie M style of tuning is kinda lost its luster in the era of ai voice synths. Don't get me wrong I love it and I think he's a great tuner. It just losses it's spectacle. Also Mitchie M latest songs hasn't been the best in my opinion so it falls back on great tuning that is not as impressive as it once was.
On v flower I hope her ai helps with her tuning problem because she is a tricky voice. I will always wish her v4 came with a calm voice that could xys with her original so she could have more vocal depth.

I know this is a hot take but I don't really want any new v5 vocaloids. I think new vocal synths took its place and they have better ui. tuning in vocaloid has always been a pain. I feel like tuners have to bend over backward to make it sound decent. I know synth v ai gen 3 isn't out but it captures a lot of the nuances in singing that I feel like aren't captured in vocaloid. To the point where I wish vocaloids like sachiko or chika even amy and ruby had synth v banks. Vocaloid feels dead in the water and isn't adapting to the new market. I do wonder how everyone would take it if they released a new vocaloid now that there's better competition and there hasn't been a new voice in forever.

Last edited:

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I know this is a hot take but I don't really want any new v5 vocaloids. I think new vocal synths took its place and they have better ui. tuning in vocaloid has always been a pain. I feel like tuners have to bend over backward to make it sound decent. I know synth v ai gen 3 isn't out but it captures a lot of the nuances in singing that I feel like aren't captured in vocaloid. To the point where I wish vocaloids like sachiko or chika even amy and ruby had synth v banks. Vocaloid feels dead in the water and isn't adapting to the new market. I do wonder how everyone would take it if they released a new vocaloid now that there's better competition and there hasn't been a new voice in forever.
Yamaha hasn't shown any interest in new VBs from third parties in how many years now? Even during the V4 era, I noticed third party Vocaloids were dwindling off. They seem more interested in experimental projects that utilise V5 in a manner other than simply singing songs, like Charlie.

riz_lady

Extreme Sonika Enjoyer
ok time for me to join this mad old thread
- I think that while Lola and Leon don't really seem to be fit for typical songs (unless they got an update, which will never happen), I've seen people using them in pretty cool and creative ways, and I must say that I like it!

- Miku isn't overrated, she's just overused.

- I don't like Luka in upbeat/heavier songs. I feel like her voice is too quiet and doesn't go well with loud instrumentals.

- CFM needs to stop making new Vocaloids (obviously not including the pre-installed ones). Pretty much every single new Vocaloid released after like 2012 has been used like one time and then forgotten about forever. They should just focus on updating pre-existing ones (and maybe reviving some old discontinued ones if people want.)

- This aint really a hot take, but the Vocaloid fandoms time has passed. Yeah it had a brief revival in early 2021 with the Ghost Rule trend on TikTok, but everyone just forgot about it after that. 2017 was pretty much the end for the fandom, though it makes me happy that there's a smaller, more cozy group now.

Reactions: MoaHarbor

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
CFM needs to stop making new Vocaloids (obviously not including the pre-installed ones). Pretty much every single new Vocaloid released after like 2012 has been used like one time and then forgotten about forever. They should just focus on updating pre-existing ones (and maybe reviving some old discontinued ones if people want.)
did you perhaps mean Yamaha as a whole? not CFM...? crypton hasnt made a new vocaloid/character since 2009. regardless yamaha hasnt even ya know. touched vocaloid or made new vocaloids in quite a while, as the last voices they made were the ones that launched with V5. im not sure theyll really be making any new voicebanks due to how long its been.

- This aint really a hot take, but the Vocaloid fandoms time has passed. Yeah it had a brief revival in early 2021 with the Ghost Rule trend on TikTok, but everyone just forgot about it after that. 2017 was pretty much the end for the fandom, though it makes me happy that there's a smaller, more cozy group now.
i dont really think trends of popularity are defining of when a fandom lives or dies. there are too many people still making covers and originals to consider it dead.

___

Oct 8, 2019
Yamaha still updates the editor fairly regurarly and uses vocaloid technology in their other projects, wouldn't say they havent touched it at all, but yee they haven't made new commercial voicebanks and honestly have never been the ones to bring in the biggest influx of vocaloid voicebanks in the 1st place.

maybe you're thinkign of CFM cuz they've def been distributor to several other voicebanks.

and 2020 had been one of the best years for vocaloid/voice synths! things aren't so bleak for the community with this much content :)

riz_lady

Extreme Sonika Enjoyer
did you perhaps mean Yamaha as a whole? not CFM...? crypton hasnt made a new vocaloid/character since 2009. regardless yamaha hasnt even ya know. touched vocaloid or made new vocaloids in quite a while, as the last voices they made were the ones that launched with V5. im not sure theyll really be making any new voicebanks due to how long its been.

i dont really think trends of popularity are defining of when a fandom lives or dies. there are too many people still making covers and originals to consider it dead.
Yeah I meant to say Yamaha lmao. Sorry my brain kinda died there for a sec.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
Yamaha still updates the editor fairly regurarly and uses vocaloid technology in their other projects, wouldn't say they havent touched it at all,
oh yes i mostly mean the fact they havent made a new vocaloid not that they havent done anything with it! :agree: they update it but that is kind of it right now. otherwise they havent made much talk regarding vocaloid or its future really. but they are doing other things. i probably wouldnt expect many or any new voices from them tbh

___

Oct 8, 2019
oh yes i mostly mean the fact they havent made a new vocaloid not that they havent done anything with it! :agree: they update it but that is kind of it right now. otherwise they havent made much talk regarding vocaloid or its future really. but they are doing other things. i probably wouldnt expect many or any new voices from them tbh
yeah!! 100% agreed

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
Where is this narrative that vocaloid is dead/ irrelevant even coming from??? And ...why does it matter? Everything fluctuates in popularity. I'm still gonna like kaito even when I'm a grandma lol
ive been in my fair share of 'small' fandoms for very dead franchises and such so it is hard for me to ever agree that vocaloid is 'dying'. i think one thing thats clear to me imo, is vocaloid isnt just vocaloid, i feel since new synths have risen its gotten more spread out. personally i group them all together in my head from the fact its all centered on vocal synths. but they all have wavering interest. but comparing vocaloid to even some of the tiniest fandoms ive been in, im thankful people still love so much these days. there so many songs coming out still. i pretty much only subscribe to V Flower artists and i see new songs with her popping up in good numbers every few months! cant even imagine how much id have if i subbed more miku artists lol. every fandom, mostly one with so many different aspects to it, has its ups and downs. but its no where close to what id define as dead

riz_lady

Extreme Sonika Enjoyer
Where is this narrative that vocaloid is dead/ irrelevant even coming from??? And ...why does it matter? Everything fluctuates in popularity. I'm still gonna like kaito even when I'm a grandma lol
I apologize if my wording was messy lmao I was in school when I was writing that post. While the fanbase has decreased in number, that certainly doesn't devalue Vocaloid as a whole. And yes, I will also love kaito until I am six feet under :3

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
i have been in the fandom for over a decade and i have been hearing this "vocaloid is dead/irrelevant" thing for the last 6 years. it was HUGE back on vocaloidotaku...i remember everyone was blaming original characters in pvs (like characters in uhh whatever that song series with ia was....kagerou....project?) for stealing the spot from vocaloids or something...

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
What i meant to say was that while Vocaloid is still slightly popular, it's not as it used to be. I know I phrased my first post kinda weird and it gave the wrong impression. Sorry about that :gackpo_lili:
Nah, I agree, it's moreso the fact that I see statements like that tossed around every five seconds and I wonder how it matters. There are fandoms that have existed for 30+ years that haven't gone anywhere

riz_lady

Extreme Sonika Enjoyer
Nah, I agree, it's moreso the fact that I see statements like that tossed around every five seconds and I wonder how it matters. There are fandoms that have existed for 30+ years that haven't gone anywhere
True lmao. Like alot of times I see people trying to say "its dead so why are you still into it". For example the My Little Pony fandom, while it certainly has decreased in popularity, still has a good online presence (there's even still some fan made cons). I notice alot of people shit on them for liking something that ended (at least until the next gen) but you're right, it doesn't really matter.

riz_lady

Extreme Sonika Enjoyer
I think that Yamaha won't give up on Vocaloid. Sure it was not their most successfully product, but it did brought them a lot of money. So may be there is a reason why Yamaha resumed Vocaloid production for some time, idk
Yeah that makes sense. I think the main reason the ones from after 2013 kinda failed is because people were too focused on the other ones (mostly Project Daisy) at the time to really pay any mind.

I personally think Yamaha should stop making new Vocaloids for now and should continue working on supporting the current ones. Eventually the time will come where some new ones would be nice :)

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Yamaha hasn’t really “given up” on Vocaloid so much as redirected their focus. I’d like to (for probably the 15th time since I’ve been here, forgive me, I love it so much) direct you to their efforts with the non-commercial VOCALOID:AI:

As has been mentioned, Vocaloid’s not going anywhere! So don’t lose hope in that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)