• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
I can see why people would hate him but he is something special he's the only tenor Spanish vocaloid. IDK I found how everything went down to be a shame I'm always the more the merrier when it comes to vocaloid.

Reactions: TheStarPalace

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Unpopular opinion: I actually liked how Lucia sounded (Luan was decent sounding but I get why people had problems with him, he wasn't anything special either)
Follow-on unpopular opinion: I'm disappointed Lucia and Luan never became things, because now the Spanish side of Vocaloid is completely dead. I was super-excited for additional languages in V3, but once the Korean and Spanish sides quickly died off, nothing else came out of language expansion.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Follow-on unpopular opinion: I'm disappointed Lucia and Luan never became things, because now the Spanish side of Vocaloid is completely dead. I was super-excited for additional languages in V3, but once the Korean and Spanish sides quickly died off, nothing else came out of language expansion.
I'm sad that all those Vocaloids that were announced then died off never became a thing....I was excited for Rose, damn it

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
Sometimes some older fans in the community intimidate me. I remember this person wrote an article about mikumiku ebooks and it was really well written. However, this one account went on a full rant because of a typo saying Miku came out in 2017 instead of 2007. Sometimes it feels like I can't really do anything.new in the community or talk about something without worrying an older fan is going to reply being condescending or a smart aleck about it.

Of course I know this isn't everybody, but I always have that fear

___

Oct 8, 2019
Well, I could say to not take it to heart but I know it's easier said than done. I hope it helps when I say that older fans ( the ones who gave VO bad reputation ) mostly resided on VO and when it shut down they went separate ways, you'll probably still find some of them on the wiki but they don't really seem to lurk around here so you at least can feel more at ease on Vocaverse I think? The older fans who actually came from VO here really don't really care about causing drama or anything like that.

razelberii

Bless the Lord, O my Soul
Apr 8, 2018
雨リカ
razzyru.com
Man, it bothers me when fans do that too, so you're not the only one. Heck, I've been a fan for perhaps 10 years now, and I still wonder if something like that will happen to me (if they do so, I personally think it shows their weakness and not mine, so I keep that in mind, maybe that can help you).
I imagine it's discouraging to newcomers - instead of helping you to learn the information, they just expect you to know. There's a lot to learn in the world of Vocaloid - a good thing, but something that can't be learned overnight.
It's better that way I think, that way someone can experience it for themselves instead of just taking in information, besides, they were at that point once too. This is only my thinking.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Sometimes some older fans in the community intimidate me. I remember this person wrote an article about mikumiku ebooks and it was really well written. However, this one account went on a full rant because of a typo saying Miku came out in 2017 instead of 2007. Sometimes it feels like I can't really do anything.new in the community or talk about something without worrying an older fan is going to reply being condescending or a smart aleck about it.

Of course I know this isn't everybody, but I always have that fear
I think that depends very much on where you go. For example, there's lots of snarkiness in the comments on YouTube, but from what I've heard, the feedback people get to vocal synth videos on NicoNico is really supportive. Similarly, I've seen that sort of thing on some other sites (I remember some of the comments I read while researching Ruby's VB.), but I've rarely seen that kind of behavior here. And the couple instances I think of are from a long time ago; I don't think that person's still here anymore.

But I hear you--the net can be a really stark place. When people are nice, it's great; when they're not, it kind of feels more immediate and hard to get away from than in a real world of walls where you can walk away and go somewhere else.

But personally, I wouldn't be here if I didn't think I got treated well. Everyone here has made mistakes of one kind or another at some point, and it's embarrassing when it happens, but typically people don't make a major deal about it. We learn better, we move on. And eventually we'll remember that when we help the newbies who come after.

Sep 21, 2019
I'm sad that all those Vocaloids that were announced then died off never became a thing....I was excited for Rose, damn it
Same. After looking at the links about Rose that you shared, she seemed like she had a lot of potential.... it's a shame, really.
I think that depends very much on where you go. For example, there's lots of snarkiness in the comments on YouTube, but from what I've heard, the feedback people get to vocal synth videos on NicoNico is really supportive.
I agree with this statement, and I can also vouch that people on NicoNico are very supportive and freindly. They've said a lot of nice things about my covers I've uploaded, though when I go back and listen to some of them now, I'm kind of embarrassed because they aren't as good as I remembered. (/~\)

The only places I see people starting crap are YouTube, Twitter, and the Vocaloid Wiki. (Tbh, the wiki is full of a bunch of rude, snarky, gatekeeping people. That's where I usually see most of the older fans behaving condescendingly. I wouldn't touch that side of the community with a 10 foot pole.)

VVN, however, is wonderful. Everyone seems very relaxed and friendly. Like, we've had a 24 page thread of unpopular opinions, and I've seen maybe one person get upset over something (but that was like a year ago, and I don't think they hang out here anymore...)

(Sorry for the long post!)

___

Oct 8, 2019
The only places I see people starting crap are YouTube, Twitter, and the Vocaloid Wiki.
I think that Twitter is alright place for sharing vociesynth art, it also really depends what you're doing on each platform too.

Uh, also if it's ok I also have some unpopular opinions.

I don't care whether the V1 engloids will ever get updated or not ( they 99.9% won't but still ), I think Avanna could act as replacement for Miriam and Chris and Amy pay homage to Leon and Lola. If some miracle happened I'd rather see updates for Zero-G and PowerFX' V2s or if they ( Zero-G since PowerFX is out of the game ) developed new voicebanks to act as modern replacements ( more likely scenario ). I think that would actually bring something to the table.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I don't care whether the V1 engloids will ever get updated or not ( they 99.9% won't but still ), I think Avanna could act as replacement for Miriam and Chris and Amy pay homage to Leon and Lola. If some miracle happened I'd rather see updates for Zero-G and PowerFX' V2s or if they ( Zero-G since PowerFX is out of the game ) developed new voicebanks to act as modern replacements ( more likely scenario ). I think that would actually bring something to the table.
As cool as it would be to see old engloids upgraded, I totally agree that I'd much rather see new ones.

Sep 21, 2019
I don't particularly care for multiscale/pitch (or whatever they're called) UTAUs. With exception of Ritsu kire and Ruko power, I don't find them to be that much more impressive than a monopitch UTAU like Teto or Sukone Tei, both of which are both very expressive (but also I'm biased towards them, so...). Though, Ritsu and Ruko (moreso Ruko) have the issue of sounding angry or upset rather than expressive. (No hate to either of their vbs, though. I still love them both to bits and really need to find some songs to cover with them.)
Edit: now that I’ve gotten more experience with them, I actually think multi pitch vbs are very nice but it really depends on their tone as far as expressiveness goes.

Last edited:

___

Oct 8, 2019
I don't particularly care for multiscale/pitch (or whatever they're called) UTAUs.
I definitely don't frown upon monopitch utaus, some of my favorite utaus are monopitch and I think for some utaus, being multiptch doesn't do much. But...multipitch exists to capture the vp's tone more accurately and people who embrace that fact create amazing voicebanks.

I usually prefer multi-tone voicebanks, like Yamine Renri or Theory Yumeiro, those are my favorite types so that's why I have frankensteined version of VCV Teto and her appends :teto_lili:

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
I don't particularly care for multiscale/pitch (or whatever they're called) UTAUs. With exception of Ritsu kire and Ruko power, I don't find them to be that much more impressive than a monopitch UTAU like Teto or Sukone Tei, both of which are both very expressive (but also I'm biased towards them, so...). Though, Ritsu and Ruko (moreso Ruko) have the issue of sounding angry or upset rather than expressive. (No hate to either of their vbs, though. I still love them both to bits and really need to find some songs to cover with them.)
I kind of agree except I think it's even less productive to say voicebank recording types (say CV or VCV) are inherently superior or inferior. When I was a new UTAU fan, it was kinda driven into me that CV is "always bad" so I resolved to not use any voicebank like that and only use the """"best"""" recording style, VCV. But who gets to decide one is the best? All recording styles have good and bad points: CV has a shorter recording and rendering time and can handle faster/shorter notes better if it's configured properly, and CVVC has smoother transitions.

Sep 21, 2019
When I was a new UTAU fan, it was kinda driven into me that CV is "always bad" so I resolved to not use any voicebank like that and only use the """"best"""" recording style, VCV. But who gets to decide one is the best? All recording styles have good and bad points: CV has a shorter recording and rendering time and can handle faster/shorter notes better if it's configured properly, and CVVC has smoother transitions.
I can relate to this for sure. Though, I eventually learned when done right, CV can sound just as good VCV. (Also, I never realized CVVC had smoother transitions (but maybe that's because I don't use often); I always thought it was just another style of VB. orz)

Also, I hope my original post didn't come off like I was trying to say that multipitch/powerscale was inferior to monopitch. I think both recording styles have their strengths and weaknesses. (Though, Patuk already addressed that, so I'm not gonna restate everything, lol.)

I definitely don't frown upon monopitch utaus, some of my favorite utaus are monopitch and I think for some utaus, being multiptch doesn't do much. But...multipitch exists to capture the vp's tone more accurately and people who embrace that fact create amazing voicebanks.

I usually prefer multi-tone voicebanks, like Yamine Renri or Theory Yumeiro, those are my favorite types so that's why I have frankensteined version of VCV Teto and her appends
I didn't realize multipitch was intended to better capture the vp's tone; I always thought it was to give the UTAU a better range. Thank you for enlightening me! XD

Also, the frankensteined version of Teto you mentioned sounds interesting. I never thought about trying to frankenstein her voicebanks into a multipitch; I keep them all in one big folder since they're aliased in a manner that allows them to all be stored in the same folder, and I can switch use them all without having to split the UST.

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
Another opinion I have had for a long time and need to get it out (sorry if anyone gets mad)

I think people who dislike a certain loid because they're "too popular" or has an active fanbase to me is a little ridiculous. I don't believe that it should be a good reason to like or hate a vocaloid just because of their status in the fandom. If that was the case, then almost no one would like the Cryptonloids at all. I guess in the parts of the community I've been to, I see this statement a lot, and it kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Besides how well-known a vocaloid or other synth is depends on how many people are active and contribute ideas and content with them. Any idea shared is spread and can sometimes become the public opinion about that synth (you can see this with a lot of popular headcannons in the fandom). Words have a lot of power in here.

Last edited:

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
The only places I see people starting crap are YouTube, Twitter, and the Vocaloid Wiki. (Tbh, the wiki is full of a bunch of rude, snarky, gatekeeping people. That's where I usually see most of the older fans behaving condescendingly. I wouldn't touch that side of the community with a 10 foot pole.)
I think because the wikia is the first place new fans visit after Youtube, the older users are low on patience because they have corrected the same misconceptions too many times. :clara_lili:

So I guess my unpopular opinion is that all parts of the fandom have their cons, so to avoid getting stressed it's best to take breaks from each one. It's like when you spend a long time with a particular group of people (coworkers or roommates, for example), you find little things they do start to bug you. Leave it too long, and you end up getting really angry. So it's always worth taking a holiday - even from social media.

Sep 21, 2019
I think people who dislike a certain loid because they're "too popular" or have an active fanbase to me is a little ridiculous. I don't believe that it should be a good reason to like or hate a vocaloid just because of their status in the fandom. If that was the case, then almost no one would like the Cryptonloids at all. I guess in the parts of the community I've been to, I see this statement a lot, and it kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Besides how well-known a vocaloid or other synth is depends on how many people are active and contribute ideas and content with them. Any idea shared is spread and can sometimes become the public opinion about that synth (you can see this with a lot of popular headcannons in the fandom). Words have a lot of power in here.
I concur. I get sick of seeing the same loid used after a while, but I think it's silly to act like someone shouldn't like them. Like Gumi English, for example. I get tired of seeing her used all the time, but I'm not gonna rag on people for liking her or using her (probably because I like her as well). I think it's wiser to judge a vocal based on the vocal itself, not it's popularity. I think hating a synth because it's popular more of an elitist thing rather than an actual criticism.

I think if people want a synth to become more popular, they should contribute content related to the synth in positive way, and then maybe they'll see a growth in popularity. Write a fanfiction, make some fan art, etc. or support someone who uses a less-popular synth and share their work with others! That's my two cents anyways.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I always wondered why Megpoid eng is the most used english voicebank, cause imo, she's not the best. Don't get me wrong I really like her, but I just don't think shes very understandable and I think a lot of other engloids sound better than her. It's just kind of weird to me that she totally blew up in the western community

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
I always wondered why Megpoid eng is the most used english voicebank, cause imo, she's not the best. Don't get me wrong I really like her, but I just don't think shes very understandable and I think a lot of other engloids sound better than her. It's just kind of weird to me that she totally blew up in the western community
Well, in all fairness, even by 2009 Miku wasn't the best Japanese Vocaloid, but she's the most popular to this day.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)