• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Other Cryptonloid voicebank updates, collabs, & concert news (crypton_wat Twitter translations)

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018

1st tweet (Ryo worked on a prototype for more real-time voice analysis):
During summer holiday, I implemented a newly thought-up real-time vocal analysis synthesis system.
Because it implemented signal processing everything except the FFT* from scratch, it was quite difficult, but this is the prototype.
However, the input voice in the movie was borrowed from "Seiyuu Toukei Corpus".**
*FFT = Fast Fourier Transform. It's done in real-time, it's confusing but it's basically an algorithmn that analysizes (computes) a signal from its original domain (whatever that means) into a representation.
**Seiyuu Toukei Corpus = 日本声優統計学会 It's a site for "voice actor statistics", it has patterns of 3 voiceactresses and can be used by people for machine learning.

2nd tweet (real-time voice conversion for iPhones):
I'm not gonna translate this word for word, but Ryo says that for the algorithm, but he's working on controlling the increase in processing time and that they are creating an iPhone version.

My thoughts:
Seems like might be related to improving Cherry Pie? Beef Jerky uses data from voice actresses (I assume in order to make the converted speech talk naturally).

Ryo likes naming things after food. Wonder why it's called Beef Jerky.

If this iPhone version comes out, it really does seem similar to R.C. Voice vs Voidol (Crimson Technology's real-time voice converter for iPhone and computer respectively). Crypton must be trying to be competitive. Doesn't this kind of prove that Cherry Pie will not be Vocaloid-related if it works in this manner?

Reactions: Wario94

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Seems like might be related to improving Cherry Pie? Beef Jerky uses data from voice actresses (I assume in order to make the converted speech talk naturally).

Ryo likes naming things after food. Wonder why it's called Beef Jerky.

If this iPhone version comes out, it really does seem similar to R.C. Voice vs Voidol (Crimson Technology's real-time voice converter for iPhone and computer respectively). Crypton must be trying to be competitive. Doesn't this kind of prove that Cherry Pie will not be Vocaloid-related if it works in this manner?
Could be a Cherry Pie improvement. My first thought in looking at this post was that it was something new, since it has a new name and all. It seems to serve the same function, though it sounds like how it does it is probably very different. So either it's an improvement, or a prototype of a new feature/function/angle for Cherry, and the two will eventually get merged together somehow.

Only Ryo would know why it's called beef jerky.... :miku2_move: Maybe they're what he lives on while he's in a coding marathon--beef jerky and cherry pie?

Things do seem to be getting more Vocaloid-agnostic, particularly for this new thing. As far as I know, their Vocaloids are the only things CFM actually makes, so this would be a new thing for them.

Reactions: uncreepy

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
The meaning behind "Beef Jerky"?
I forgot that Ryo's Twitter username is Ryo_Jerky, so maybe he just likes jerky a lot and thought it was a good opportunity to pick a food name (like Cherry Pie) but also name the prototype after himself.

Looking closer at the video, above "BEEF JERKY", it says "RJEFX". Maybe it means RJ = Ryo_Jerky, E = effector (they said that Cherry Pie was an effector, so maybe Beef Jerky is, too?), FX = effects?

Crypton not only in the Vocaloid software/voice bank scene, but also in the VTuber voice conversion scene:
I think you're right that Crypton only makes Vocaloids, but based on their Wantedly ads, I think they're trying to do some serious work with the real-time voice conversion. (Hiring people who know about it and talking about the recognition it's received.) It would be interesting if down the line, they released a new character to be used with it, because of them aiming at VTubers who want to sound like their ideal anime selves. It would be nice to see a new Cryptonloid, or at least dream about it. ^^

Patterns for deep learning:
I tried to figure out what the data from "Seiyuu Toukei Corpus (Voice actor corpus)" was exactly:
There are 3 voice actresses used for the data. Tsuchiya, Uemura, and Fujitou.
There are 3 patterns of emotions (normal, happy, angry) and there are .wav files that have them reading out loud so people can use the data for phoneme balance for emotions (the total files is 2 hours worth).
The sentences are a collection to be used to teach your computer patterns used for deep learning or math statistics.

So I think that Ryo used this to save time teaching the computer. But I remember Wat said that they already had patterns, I went back to a tweet regarding Kaito's pattern and regarding Rin/Len's patterns. Basically, it sounded like Wat wanted patterns (which I now understand compared to back then to be sound files that you give to the computer to learn from in order for it to speak with proper intonation) that weren't necessarily human sounding (aka kind of robotic). Maybe Ryo is using this irl voice actress data in order for them to actually talk more human-like?

Reactions: Jikyusan

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I forgot that Ryo's Twitter username is Ryo_Jerky, so maybe he just likes jerky a lot and thought it was a good opportunity to pick a food name (like Cherry Pie) but also name the prototype after himself.
Ha ha, could be!
I think you're right that Crypton only makes Vocaloids, but based on their Wantedly ads, I think they're trying to do some serious work with the real-time voice conversion.
Hm, interesting. Possibly a new business area for them. Yeah, maybe eventually they'll be looking to make their own Kizuna AI.
Maybe Ryo is using this irl voice actress data in order for them to actually talk more human-like?
Could be. Maybe they want data that doesn't come from the existing Cryptonloids, too? Especially if the new products aren't necessarily Vocaloid-related.

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
One week before the announcement...
Well... The one thing that I thinking of is the possibility about the news about Vocal Drive and Cherry Pie.
Funny enough, yesterday I wrote an Email to Crypton about the update for both Vocal Drive and Cherry Pie!

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Considering that the announcenent is set for Miku's birthday I feel like it's going to be something specific for Miku.
A lot of fans have been hoping that Miku performs in the opening of the olympics, so maybe it's that? Or perhaps it's the new appends finally? We'll have to wait and see, right now there's several possibilities regarding this annoumcement.

Then there's the possibility of a new mobile game, oh next weekend is going to be exciting!

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
Update:
I'm sorry to hear that you have been worried about the previous Tweet and some people. I am going to have an “unexpected” and “big story” on 8/31, but I don't think it's content to make Miku fans feel sad. . Thank you in the future.
And yes, I used Google Translate as it source because it looks perfect to me. (Unlike most people who "translate" English into Japanese via Google Translate to naive Japanese speaker.)

Reactions: mobius017

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
For the tweet of
One week left until the announcement, huh...
People are speculating that Miku will be at the Olympics (probably), that there will be a new male vocal (yeah right), something related do the DIVA games (maybe), and there are people afraid that this is the end for Magical Mirai (seriously? 9_9).

For the tweet of
I'm sorry to have caused worry for some people with the tweet just now. It is planned that I have the privilege of an "unexpected" and "big story" on 8/31, but I do not think the contents will make Miku fans have sad feelings... Please "yoroshiku onegai itashimasu*" from now on.
* I said I was never gonna translate "yoroshiku" in a tweet ever again after it stirred up worries due to having no English equivalent (people thought Wat was groveling), but it's a "greeting" you say it to someone to ask that they treat you well/work together with you.

People in the comments were like "It's the Olypmics, isn't it" but someone said we already heard Miku's voice in an Olympic promo video (can't confirm this). Someone thinks Miku is getting a little brother or sister. Someone thinks that Miku's official age will become 18 in order to promote her internationally. Someone said that Miku is going to be announced as the god of a new world. (These keep getting weirder...)

I highly doubt we'll get a new Vocaloid (because I've been translating his tweets as far back as September 2017 in order to learn about the Appends and they seem too busy making new voice coating technology and tweaking the existing characters to have had time to make a new character). I could see the announcement being related to the Olympics, DIVA games, or a collab relating to Bilibili/China or something.

Do I think he'll announce something about Cherry Pie or the Appends? Nope. If he does, I'll be (pleasantly) surprised. I feel like we'll have to wait longer, because of Beef Jerky literally getting teased last week. If he did mention it, it would probably just be to say it's coming "soon". I would be suprised if they teased box art or anything like that. We still haven't (to my knowledge, I don't go to events) gotten to hear Rin, Len, or Meiko singing with Cherry Pie.

Reactions: mahalisyarifuddin

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Someone thinks that Miku's official age will become 18 in order to promote her internationally.
It's not entirely unbelievable, since stuff like that does happen. But I really doubt this. Really, how is 18 better than 16 for promotional purposes? What kind of stuff would they be promoting her FOR?

If that were the case, I'd personally hate it. Just like I dislike when they change characters' names and such to make it more palatable for a Western audience. I'm a big boy; I can accept that there are people whose names aren't Bob, Jane, Bill, Mary, etc. Let the characters be who they are. We wouldn't change our names if we took a trip to China, Japan, wherever else, would we?
Someone said that Miku is going to be announced as the god of a new world.
BWAHAHAHA!! That sh*tpost is funny...! "Sekai de ichiban kami-sama"...hmm.... :LOL:

I feel like it'll probably be 1) the mobile game, 2) the Olympics, or 3) the appends, in that order. Probably not Cherry Pie/Beef Jerky/Vocal Drive, since those seem to still be in development.

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
I said I was never gonna translate "yoroshiku" in a tweet ever again after it stirred up worries due to having no English equivalent (people thought Wat was groveling), but it's a "greeting" you say it to someone to ask that they treat you well/work together with you.
Oh, I see. So much for the whole "Thank you in the future".

Also, what do you think about this comic by Kawama (Mrs.)?
(Yes, this is the same person who said that Miku's official age will "become 18 in order to promote her internationally".):

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
Only Ryo would know why it's called beef jerky.... :miku2_move: Maybe they're what he lives on while he's in a coding marathon--beef jerky and cherry pie?
I think because, if you look at this picture, you can imagine it being like many pieces of beef jerky, they really look like them, they even have the same color hehe

People are speculating that Miku will be at the Olympics (probably), that there will be a new male vocal (yeah right), something related do the DIVA games (maybe), and there are people afraid that this is the end for Magical Mirai (seriously? 9_9).

People in the comments were like "It's the Olypmics, isn't it" but someone said we already heard Miku's voice in an Olympic promo video (can't confirm this). Someone thinks Miku is getting a little brother or sister. Someone thinks that Miku's official age will become 18 in order to promote her internationally. Someone said that Miku is going to be announced as the god of a new world. (These keep getting weirder...)

I highly doubt we'll get a new Vocaloid (because I've been translating his tweets as far back as September 2017 in order to learn about the Appends and they seem too busy making new voice coating technology and tweaking the existing characters to have had time to make a new character). I could see the announcement being related to the Olympics, DIVA games, or a collab relating to Bilibili/China or something.
the Olympics promo video is this ^-^

and about Magical Mirai, is more about people are worried what will happen next year for Tokyo venue, since all venues in Tokyo and Yokohama are booked for Olympics (24 july - 9 august) and Paralympic (25 august - 6 september). A good option is Osaka again, but this time at end of August, and Tokyo at end of september, much like Magical Mirai 2014 ^^

Last edited:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I think because, if you look at this picture, you can imagine it being like many pieces of beef jerky, they really look like them, they even have the same color hehe
They do look sort of similar....
the Olympics promo video is this ^-^

and about Magical Mirai, is more about people are worried what will happen next year for Tokyo venue, since all venues in Tokyo and Yokohama are booked for Olympics (24 july - 9 august) and Paralympic (25 august - 6 september). A good option is Osaka again, but this time at end of August, and Tokyo at end of september, much like Magical Mirai 2014 ^^
Nice! Thanks for sharing that video--I hadn't gotten to see it before! That info about the concerns about the venue makes sense, too.

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
Ever since those two tweets, Gobou-P came up in this hashtag known as #クリプトンの予想外かつ大きなお話を予想してみる which means "Expect an unexpected and big story of Crypton" in English.
First, I'll post Gobou-P's own posts:
Absolutely not Character Series 04
After a long discussion between SONY and Crypton, we entrust the rights of Utatane Piko to Crypton and becomes a member of Crypton.
Sound source conversion of Yowane Haku and Akita Neru.
Offering and selling Hatsune Miku's sound source to CeVIO.
To find new creators, only the original sound source of Hatsune Miku will be free.
The VOCALOID Division will be made a wholly owned subsidiary, aiming for business and development related to VOCALOID.
Crypton's VOCALOID will develop V4 as its own synthesized speech technology, and will continue to develop Crypton's original synthesized speech products.
Finally, there's two more tweets that use that same hashtag. First there's Daisuke-P:
Project if finally commercialized.
Shota child Vocaloid, the world's first elementary school boy's voice.
And then here's kadotanimitsuru's tweet:
Crypton becomes a subsidiary of KADOKAWA.

Last edited:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Ever since those two tweets, Gobou-P came up in this hashtag known as #クリプトンの予想外かつ大きなお話を予想してみる which means "Expect an unexpected and big story of Crypton" in English.
First, I'll post Gobou-P's own posts:

Finally, there's two more tweets that use that same hashtag. First there's Daisuke-P:

And then here's kadotanimitsuru's tweet:
So these are...Gobou-P, Daisuke-P, and kadotanimitsuru's speculation about what the big 8/31 news will be?

Reactions: mahalisyarifuddin

Exemplar

Veteran
May 17, 2018
Speculation about CFM moving their loids off of Yamaha's platform is hardly new at all. Hell, I made that prediction late last year months before Cherry Pie's development was announced and long before this current round of speculation from japanese producers. I doubt it will be CeVIO because of it's current state both technically and in usage outside of IA Eng C. It will most likely be an in-house developed engine or maybe SynthV. If it is an in-house engine, that speculation of voices given away for free by CFM is most likely going to happen because they have made significantly more money off of licensing, concerts and advertising than they had off of selling voicebanks. It would be in their best interests to get Miku's voice into as many hands as possible. Ending the sales of voicebanks would hardly be a loss for them.

The sale of CFM to KADOKAWA would be unlikely to happen. AH Soft would be a better fit for them but even that is unlikely also. Although Piko has a bit of cult status amongst vocaloid fans, it's unlikely because of his voicer's current health status and that a company as big as Sony probably wouldn't bother going through the hassle of selling him let alone even remembering they had developed a vocaloid many years ago. Sony has much bigger things to worry about right now like Spider Man being out of the MCU, the upcoming launch of the PS5 and their floundering consumer electronics division.

If CV04 was to still happen, it would most likely would be from a much higher profile voicer. Yes, the popularity of a vocaloid voicebank does not coincide with the popularity of it's voicer. Sachiko did not become as popular her voicer who happened to be Japan's equivalent of Cher. The same goes for the ones voiced by higher profile folks like Gacht, Yohio and Fukase. But the keywords in that example is 'vocaloid voicebank'. Thanks to Kanru's engine we know it's possible to nearly have software emulation of a singer's voice (remember that near indistinguishable duet between Shian and her voicer Warma?), just not in the Vocaloid™ engine. The technology had finally caught up to the economics of having high profile voicer so long as the voicer is willing to put in the effort to also help promote the voicebank. Plus we know Itoh had made an offer to Lady Gaga about voicing a bank in the past so we know those kind of offers are not off the table for CFM. CV04 would unlikely be a female head voice because they wouldn't want to undercut Miku and Rin.

Last edited:

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
The hashtag that @Wario94 showed tweets from (#クリプトンの予想外かつ大きなお話を予想してみる ) actually means "#Try to predict Crypton's unexpected and big story". Google did a horrible job at translating, as usual. Do not think of it as a trustworthy replacement for a translator, it can't figure out context/nuance properly like a human translator. Only use it for rough translations when a human translation is unavailable, it is NOT 100% accurate, don't treat it as such. Translating Japanese is harder than with other languages because they often don't specify the speaker (ex: don't have to say "I" at the beginning) or object of verbs, and Google seems like it only picks 1 word to translate another word into (even though there is almost always more than 1 way to translate a single word due to synonyms). Translating is an art, not a science.

The people quoted from Twitter are simply trying to guess what they think the big announcement will be. Just because they are written in Japanese doesn't make them official or any less tinfoil hatty than the guesses on Wat's tweet or the guesses on this thread.

I will only trust information from actual insiders (like Wat himself, Ryo, or even nyanyannya). And there's only a week left before we find out the truth, anyway. It might not even end up being that relevant to people waiting for software.

Wat said that "Miku fans" would not be sad by the news. I feel that the news pertains to Miku specifically. Any time Wat is tweeting about more than one Vocaloid, he says -tachi after their name (ex: Luka-tachi, which I translate as "Luka and co.", -tachi is a pluralizing suffix that means "[name] and their group".) He didn't do that this time, he only referred to Miku.

And lastly, I do not consider business suggestions for vocal synth companies to be proof. There are tons of suggests almost every day on the forum, Twitter, and Discord where people say stuff like "So-and-so company should have done X" or "If only X character had been marketed in X way, they would be much more popular". Yeah, those ideas are probably right, but that doesn't mean Crypton's gonna do any of it. Even though it makes sense to the people talking about why it's a good idea, it is still only an idea with no tangible proof (like a tweet, email, or blog post from the actual company).

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Okay, this is dumb, but I was thinking about it a bit more.

Wat tweeted about the announcement having 1 week left on the 24th (Saturday). One week from the 24th is the 31st, aka Miku's birthday. Her V2, V3 English (download, not package), and V4X (JP and ENG) also came out on the 31st.

Plus, Wat mentioning that Miku fans wouldn't be sad with the news.

I keep thinking it's not software related, because I heard in the past they tease box art and stuff before releasing things (as in it's never a complete surprise), but I haven't been in the fandom long enough to see something released in real time by Crypton. So it seems weird if they were like "Hey concert-goers, we suddenly have software for sale! Yeah, right now, you can download it right now! Even though you probably blew your money on Miku merch and hotel costs and stuff to be here today!" (Not that they can't announce it as coming soon.)

Geez, I was checking out the setlist for Magical Mirai and Kaito and Meiko are legit chopped liver. Meiko has 1 song and Kaito gets a duet with Miku. Wow. Don't be too generous, Crypton. Or maybe they're just afraid Miku fanboys will have their retinas burned by seeing Kaito dancing around instead of their goddess.

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
as you can see from Magical Mirai official website, Wataru Sasaki will have a panel on 31st August (14:30 ~ 16:00), and they clearly write that there will be announcement of new projects and singing voice / audio technology

OngaACCELプロジェクトで開発した音楽発掘サービス「Kiite」の技術やサービス展開のご紹介、並びに、クリプトン・フューチャー・メディア株式会社による、開発中の歌声/音声技術や、新企画の発表。
so the announcement could be Miku V5X, with a release date (I think around late September), key visual art and some live demos.

as for Project DIVA news, that will happen on August 30th, there is a 1 hour panel (13:00 ~ 14:00)

SEGA feat. HATSUNE MIKU Project 10周年ステージ ~最新情報もあるよ~

2019年7月2日に10周年を迎えた「Project DIVA」シリーズ。このステージでは新作『初音ミク Project DIVA MEGA39’s』の詳細情報など、ゲームの最新情報を中心にお届けします。

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)