• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

SynthV Synthesizer V Discussion Thread

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
@aru ii: Just curious--why?
Well. 1: at least in the western community volor has gained a sort of controversial reputation, and so companies sort of avoid it (eclipsed sounds has a section on their website where it shows other native English sv vbs, and the only one not shown is Eleanor)

2: in case of Aiko and Renri. They are std, and as we have seen lately, companies have lost any interest in std vbs.

3: Japanese companies would most likely not go out of their way to try and distribute an English and a Chinese database (Eleanor & Aiko), and Renri would not bring any gain bc she is free, and if she was to be made into a payed vb then people would most likely not buy her because of her being std and just not the best quality over all. Also that tweet from Renri’s owner may suggest that they have no interest in continuing Renri’s existence as a SynthV vb

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
This makes three occurances where Anicute/Volor hasn't delivered people's purchases:

1. Offering Eleanor's physical boxes for less than £10 before calculating worldwide shipping
2. Selling Medium5 codes while knowing they might already be in use
3. Failing to notice that their business emails had lapsed for a least 3 weeks

Each of these issues took almost a month to a year to resolve, and weren't acknowledged until repeated messages from their buyers. Given the level of negligence Anicute has demonstrated, I hope Dreamtonics cuts ties with them and transfers their products to another stockist. You never want to see a company leave the community, but Anicute has repeatedly shown that they don't have the means, competancy, or motivation to conduct business reliably. They represent a trap for new buyers to fall into, and any potential customer has a strong chance of coming away believing SynthV was a scam because of them.

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
Yeah honestly I'm kind of surprised Dreamtonics has been so lax about this considering how hard they came down on that Genbu AI thing. Maybe I'm just biased because I was rooting for Virvox, but it kind of felt like Dreamtonics were basically accusing them of trying to run a scam when it seems like they just misunderstood the red tape they needed to go through. At the very least Virvox tried to correct their mistake promptly! And yet here we have a company that waits MONTHS to give people their money back for something that was paid for but never produced, which to me is a heck of a lot more serious and scammier than jumping the gun on starting a crowdfund.

yeah I'm probably just sore about what happened to my boy but... STILL

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Yeah honestly I'm kind of surprised Dreamtonics has been so lax about this considering how hard they came down on that Genbu AI thing. Maybe I'm just biased because I was rooting for Virvox, but it kind of felt like Dreamtonics were basically accusing them of trying to run a scam when it seems like they just misunderstood the red tape they needed to go through. At the very least Virvox tried to correct their mistake promptly! And yet here we have a company that waits MONTHS to give people their money back for something that was paid for but never produced, which to me is a heck of a lot more serious and scammier than jumping the gun on starting a crowdfund.

yeah I'm probably just sore about what happened to my boy but... STILL
No, I'm with you on this one. VirVox at the very least responded accordingly and have been seeing to their plans on other engines in the meantime. They're moving slowly, but it seems like they're getting a real plan together! So why is Volor, after a solid year of hoisting so many red flags one might mistake them for a color guard or communist regime (or a communist color guard team), receiving graces that were never afforded to VirVox after a single violation? I honestly don't understand it. I really don't.

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
I'm really happy they listened to fan feedback and are tapping into the opportunity to create genre-targeted VBs! FINALLY! It's great to see!

Is the clapboard under a note with a text label the AI retakes indicator?

OK. As someone that listens to a lot of classic rock, metal, and heavy metal when I'm not listening to vocaloid music, I do have to say... and I hate being the person to offer this kind of (potentially nitpicky?) criticism, but I can't get it out of my head... when I listened to the demo, I thought, okay, this is a voice that can technically sing metal songs. But why doesn't he sound like a metal singer? This is the best description of this demo's sound that I can come up with: he sounds like the lead singer from your neighborhood band. He sounds like a YouTuber that does English metal covers of anime songs. It's just a little off. lol...

Listening again, I think this is mostly because they picked a pretty heavy backing track for him. I think he'll be able to sing rock songs effectively and metal songs effectively, but I will be very surprised if he can sing heavy metal songs effectively. They don't think they meant to market him as a heavy metal singer at all and I think this particular demo was set up to be more funny than strictly functional, but anyway.

Iron Maiden will probably be a bit out of his scope IMO but I can see Europe working. I feel like his fan design should look like he's from a hair band.

Regardless, if he isn't released officially with a shirtless guitar-shredding avatar, I will be sorely disappointed :kaito_move:

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I'm really happy they listened to fan feedback and are tapping into the opportunity to create genre-targeted VBs! FINALLY! It's great to see!

Is the clapboard under a note with a text label the AI retakes indicator?

OK. As someone that listens to a lot of classic rock, metal, and heavy metal when I'm not listening to vocaloid music, I do have to say... and I hate being the person to offer this kind of (potentially nitpicky?) criticism, but I can't get it out of my head... when I listened to the demo, I thought, okay, this is a voice that can technically sing metal songs. But why doesn't he sound like a metal singer? This is the best description of this demo's sound that I can come up with: he sounds like the lead singer from your neighborhood band. He sounds like a YouTuber that does English metal covers of anime songs. It's just a little off. lol...

Listening again, I think this is mostly because they picked a pretty heavy backing track for him. I think he'll be able to sing rock songs effectively and metal songs effectively, but I will be very surprised if he can sing heavy metal songs effectively. They don't think they meant to market him as a heavy metal singer at all and I think this particular demo was set up to be more funny than strictly functional, but anyway.

Iron Maiden will probably be a bit out of his scope IMO but I can see Europe working. I feel like his fan design should look like he's from a hair band.

Regardless, if he isn't released officially with a shirtless guitar-shredding avatar, I will be sorely disappointed :kaito_move:
Honestly, that’s what I was thinking. He sounds like unseasoned chicken tastes: it fills an empty spot but isn’t exactly satisfying. To be honest I’m kind of annoyed at it. 😆 I’m holding off on full judgement until we hear his vocal modes. I’d love to be surprised! I just wish we could get this voice type from a company that ISN’T notorious for rebranding the same three voice types over and over. Time will tell how he turns out.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
i agree the demo sounds like... not very full. but they also have not been great with showing off their voices in many demos so... part of me sometimes wants to think "maybe its not done yet" but dreamtonics' has a history of releasing their banks super fast after initial demos so, ill take it that this voice is 99% done lol. regardless, a unique tone definitely comes through which is nice to hear but im more curious if any vocal modes he has will improve the versatility of his voice. i love rock and metal vocals and i dont think id be super into this voice if that demo is all he's going to sound like (the repetition in his voice in that demo is not a great sound imo)

on the new chinese voice, cool to see them tackling that unique sound again, tho i do wonder the point when we still have feng yi- i guess if Cheng Xiao is dedicated to *only* that style, and her vocal modes are just different tones for that style, then thats cool i guess? i wonder if she will be very capable of the other language in that style still. curious.

Last edited:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Moral of the story: hire someone like Steven Tyler from Aerosmith or Angus from AC ⚡ DC if you want a real rocky rock voice //shot
I could see this as a new Synth V VB. He'll just be called "Tyler." And fans will occasionally refer to him be the pet name "Mr. T," which will confuse a ton of potential buyers from outside the fandom who were looking to buy a metal synth and now don't know what the h*ll they're looking at....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)