• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID/Synth Question You're Too Afraid To Ask?

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
How do you get Vocaloid with Unity to work? I have tried following the manual, but still failed
According to Vocaloid Wiki, Unity with VOCALOID only works with 5.0, so maybe it becoming incompatible with newer Unity is an issue. You can see this page for more info:

Honestly, I don't think trying to get it to work is worth it. Unity-chan's voice is significantly worse-sounding in the SDK version (it's her VOCALOID 2 version). Also, after all these years, only like 2 people have uploaded their progress with it (on nico nico). I have scoured the internet in both English and Japanese and could not find any user-made guides how to use it. I think too much actual developing experience with Unity is required for it to be useful for people who can't already understand developing with Unity (since it has no interface/piano roll, you'd have to program your own).

If you haven't seen it already, addictedtoheroines has a video with a portion dedicated to Unity with VOCALOID, here is the timestamp for when the segment begins:

At 23:15, he gives warnings about how it works.
Clips from nico nico to demonstrate how she sounds is at 24:35-27:13.

Reactions: WyndReed

Kiritanpo

Funny Lil' Eclipse Deity
Sep 23, 2021
The okayest place on Earth
This is a design/character question rather than a tech question, but has Internet Co ever said anything about what species of eel Una is/is based on? My best guess is a Male-coloration ribbon eel, but I'm not sure and don't want to spread that as potential fact if there's been a statement otherwise

Reactions: Nokone Miku

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
This is a design/character question rather than a tech question, but has Internet Co ever said anything about what species of eel Una is/is based on? My best guess is a Male-coloration ribbon eel, but I'm not sure and don't want to spread that as potential fact if there's been a statement otherwise
MTK Inc is actually the company that created/owns Una's character (Internet just developed and distributed her software but MTK handles everything else) - for your question, I don't believe they ever specified what kind of eel Una's based off of. I looked around some Japanese Voiceroid wikis since they tend to log even the tiniest detail about each character, but the only interesting thing I saw that I don't think was widespread knowledge is that Una's hat is an actual eel (what kind of eel is also unfortunately not specified).

Kiritanpo

Funny Lil' Eclipse Deity
Sep 23, 2021
The okayest place on Earth
MTK Inc is actually the company that created/owns Una's character (Internet just developed and distributed her software but MTK handles everything else) - for your question, I don't believe they ever specified what kind of eel Una's based off of. I looked around some Japanese Voiceroid wikis since they tend to log even the tiniest detail about each character, but the only interesting thing I saw that I don't think was widespread knowledge is that Una's hat is an actual eel (what kind of eel is also unfortunately not specified).
Thank you for searchin' around for an answer! I suppose I'll just stick with 'maybe a ribbon eel, but Definitely An Eel'!
:una_lili:

Reactions: Rylitah

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
How to make vocaloid4 more... pitch sensitive? It's hard to explain, I'd rather show it. Basically drawing pitch-bends does almost no change to the outcome. Idk how to resolve it why do I write in this thread so often qxsdgxzshw
1635361249019.png

Last edited:

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
i am simply lurking right now but feel i must also point out. the Pitch Sensitivity isnt random either and specifically affects how many whole notes it will go up if you raise the Pitch parameter all the way. by default it is at 1, so you will not see any change untill you draw all the way up the top of the PIT window. PIT Sensitivity can go up to 12, meaning that if you put that on 24 and also raise you PIT bend to the top, the bend will go up a full 24 whole notes.

1635364238247.png

so its good to keep that number in mind, to know what your "limit" will be in terms of how many notes you can go. you can be quite precise if you know this when making pitch bends, if you put down specific numbers ^^ if im slightly wrong on that someone feel free to correct me lol

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I'm an old Vocaloid fart, what the heck is Synth V?
SynthesizerV is an engine that was released at the end of 2018, with its current edition, SynthV Studio, being released in 2020. It currently has voicebanks for English, Japanese, and Mandarin Chinese. It's praised for having a more lenient learning curve and more auto-tuning options than Vocaloid, plus its Basic/Lite systems, which let you use the editor and several stripped-down paid VBs for free. Its English banks, while small in numbers, are considered easier to get smooth results out of, so it's very popular here in the West.

Several larger companies have produced VBs for SynthV, namely Quadimension (the company behind Xingchen/Stardust) and AHS (creators/distributors of several popular Vocaloids), which has also contributed to its popularity. It also hosts several AI banks, which are recorded in a manner different from traditional, sample-based voicebanks: the range of AI banks is usually more limited, but in exchange, they produce more realistic tones.

Functionally, it's similar to Vocaloid, so people familiar with Vocaloid can get the hang of SynthV quickly and vise-versa. And since it has several free options, it's a good option for people wanting to get into Vocaloid that might not be able to pay up for V5 just yet.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

___

Oct 8, 2019
Just wondering...which synthesizers are popular more in the east than the west?
More of a subjective claim on my end as it's really just my outsider observation of the situation and correct me if I'm wrong but:

Cevio AI appears to be more positively received and more broadly used in Japan than over here.

Dunno whether that's still the case but DeepVocal's developed a niche in the korean fandom, more so than here.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
does synth v have a way to see the notes on the piano roll other than just C? like how in vocaloid if you hover over them it tells you the notes. if i have to start learning what the keys are instead of just cheating i'm gonna be so sad 😔

Jupiter

Manager of the Yuzuki Yukari Fanclub
Nov 15, 2021
People have talked about engine noise, but to be honest, I have no idea what that means. It's been described as a kind of distortion or buzz/fuzziness, which is different depending on which engine you use, but I don't notice it even when working with voicebanks myself without instrumentals, even when using fairly balanced headphones. (Perhaps the problem is just that I have listened to so much vocal synth music over the years that I simply don't notice it at all anymore.)

I can tell the difference between Utau, VOCALOID, Synthesizer V, NEUTRINO, etc vocals just by the quality of the output (and knowing what vocals are from which), but I don't think that has too much to do with the engine noise... Does it?

Anyway, can anyone describe what exactly it is better? Perhaps link some audio where it's really noticeable, or something that explains clearly what it means? I would appreciate it a lot.

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
I can tell the difference between Utau, VOCALOID, Synthesizer V, NEUTRINO, etc vocals just by the quality of the output (and knowing what vocals are from which), but I don't think that has too much to do with the engine noise... Does it?
For me, this has a lot to do with engine noise! Engine noise is essentially any sound quality that would not exist if you were listening to a human singer in person. It can refer to any artificial noise present in a vocal synth's voice. Depending on your hearing and audio setup, some noise will be much more apparent than others. For example, I struggle to hear Synth V's engine noise, but for some people it's distracting. Whereas UTAU's noise is the clearest for me, but some people don't notice it.

It may help to have a description of each engine's noise, as least as I hear it:

UTAU: Strong vocoder type sound, similar to the robotic formanting effect real singers sometimes put on their voices. Most obvious in power banks, older banks, and the start and end of notes. Someone not familiar with vocal synths would probably describe UTAUs as sounding 'autotuned', and compare them to Imogen Heap.

CeVIO/Neutrino/NNNVS: A high frequency artificial noise that sounds like background buzz, mostly on low notes. It may be easiest to hear if you compare the same voice in different engines: Vocaloid IA vs CeVIO IA.

Vocaloid: Varies wildly depending on the voicebank, from barely present (Yukari or IA), to robotic and vocoder-like (Rin and Miku V2), to lightly buzzy (Cul or Leon). I can't pin down Vocaloid's engine noise to any one sound, it seems completely different depending on the engine and voicebank.

Synth V: Heaviest in older Lite banks. Sounds like a mixture of heavy compression and light autotune, most comparable to UTAU in its stronger instances. Example

In general, engine noise is most obvious in older voicebanks, less tuned voicebanks, and can sometimes be hidden with mixing. It can be virtually any noise that isn't naturally present in the human voice, which makes confusion surrounding the discussion understandable! Some people enjoy it, just as some people enjoy artificial effects on real singers, whereas others prefer the cleanest audio quality they can get.

Jupiter

Manager of the Yuzuki Yukari Fanclub
Nov 15, 2021
@lIlI Listening to the different examples and reading the way you explained it helps a lot, thank you!

Reactions: lIlI

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)