• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

CeVIO CeVIO Discussion Thread

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Once again, Techno-Speech makes a questionable decision regarding CeVIO that I don't agree with. Considering the increasing amount of backlash against subscription and cloud-based gaming recently, and the ongoing hatred of sub-based programs, I can't see a sub-based vocal synth doing too well. Digital sales tend to be the way to go for vocal synths out of convenience (despite not always being popular among diehard fans who want physical copies), but at the very least it amounts to some kind of ownership of a program and/or VB, as long as you keep the necessary data stored in a safe place. I mean, what would happen to a sub-based VB if a company stopped supporting it? Would the VB just disappear into thin air like it never existed? Same thing with an entire voice synth program.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
was hoping news with this new voice wouldnt bring more annoyances to cevio but here we are :') vocal synths as a sub model... yeah idk, i love owning vocal synths and i also dont mind subscriptions- but with vocal synths as a tool? i dont use them nearly enough to want to pay a subscription for who knows how many years. even if the initial pay-once price can be a lot, id rather have that in the long run for products like this. i mean, comparing it to instrument VSTs youd use to make songs in DAWs, those are often not subscriptions either.... plus with the fact that many voices have been left behind due to their lack of sales and companies not existing, it sounds like a bad idea in that regard even if vocal synths get more attention now- its a very... unpredictable market still, imo.

blackout

Passionate Fan
Apr 13, 2018
Dunno how I feel about the sub thing either. I can see the advantages of it cost wise (depending on how much they'll be charging) with having immediate access to a bunch of voices for as long as you're willing to pay vs a steep one-time price per voice BUT I personally like owning what I'm using too lol. I'm not completely against it, I think it would be a pretty cool idea IF there was an option to just permanently buy the voices you want.

I'm kinda hoping they'll treat Cevio AI as a standalone version of Pro and update it with whatever improvements it might bring + release future voices as having a standalone option for AI and a subscription model option for Pro... Cause otherwise I'll also be kinda mad as a Cevio AI owner that they're just releasing a better version not even a year later where current AI voices aren't even compatible on lol

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Dunno how I feel about the sub thing either. I can see the advantages of it cost wise (depending on how much they'll be charging) with having immediate access to a bunch of voices for as long as you're willing to pay vs a steep one-time price per voice BUT I personally like owning what I'm using too lol. I'm not completely against it, I think it would be a pretty cool idea IF there was an option to just permanently buy the voices you want.
I guess subscriptions could work for a vocal synth if people were allowed to treat VBs as more like long-term trials with a sub, alongside an option to permanently buy it later. Currently, vocal synths are too niche to pull off a sub-based model. Large corporations with staple software like Microsoft and Adobe can get away with subscriptions because despite being obnoxious in implementation, people still need to use stuff like the Office programs or Photoshop (unless you circumvent them and use open source alternatives) in work and daily life. Even among musicians, not many actively use voice synths on a regular basis. Outside of maybe a one-shot or experimental usage, I doubt a musician who isn't deep into the fandom will ever buy a sub for a VB.

poser

sekai liker
Mar 27, 2020
www.youtube.com
the subscription based model just turned me off completely, sorry. i doubt there'll be enough backlash or any at all to it for them to change it to normal one-buy model, but ill just seethe in silence.

excited for the voice though. love how it sounded in the demo

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
maybe by subscription, they meant that you would not pay 100~150 usd for the vb right away, but rather pay 10 usd for 10/15 months to get the vb completely? If that's so, than it's a very good model. Since if you don't have 100 usd right away, you can buy a bank for 10 dollars for it to work for a month, and the next month when you get money you will pay another 10 dollars, and so on for only 10 months

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
Whoaa, it's super unique. I really appreciate them doing something totally different from the previous designs we've had. My only two criticisms would be her hair: it's a whole mess; and the shades of teal and orange they chose clash slightly. That said, I'd much rather see this than another microskirt/thigh highs/armpit window/school uniform combo. :fukase_lili: I love the cool long coat.

YOYo_MAMA

I am Thou and Thou aren't Shit...
Oct 19, 2018
At least she's not wearing a mini-skirt or trying to look moe
I don't hate it nor am impressed, it's more neutral but still catches my eye. Like a futuristic funky avant-garde look that you see in a background character on sci-film such as Ultra Violet, the live action one, or Ghost in the Shell.

Last edited:

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
Not a fan of the color scheme, but I like that her coat resembles a musical staff. I love Chie's art and am happy to be seeing it represented more recently.

I knew the subscription model would be coming for us eventually but I’m still disappointed. I can see myself using this voice for free, but not paying a subscription fee for future voices. I imagine this will be a minority of people, though.

On one hand, I understand that the expectation for software in the market has become one that is associated, pretty much, with perpetually free updates. Many people use all of their software for free, and never pay a dime-- at the cost of their privacy, generally.

The subscription model is a way to get around monetizing your users' data, but the cost, as others have mentioned, is that you never actually own your software. Software advocates will argue that we still generally don't "own" our software, only the license to use it because the majority of commercial software is closed-source with strict licensing rules, but either way it makes a situation not so awesome for consumers either worse because your software is dependent on the services of the company.

If your software is dependent on a corporation's cloud service, once they stop maintaining this service, it's goodbye to the voice.

YOYo_MAMA

I am Thou and Thou aren't Shit...
Oct 19, 2018
In terms of subscription, let's post down what services we know uses that:
In entertainment we have online streaming such as Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime TV, HBO max, etc. Those are generally used everyday and needs to keep having good content so users will keep the subscription.
Adobe also uses subscription s and some music producing software too. But they, the users, are either professionals or need that software as part of their job.
Unless you are a full time producer who makes VB synth songs for a living and is earning enough from using the extra Cevio Pro VB for, I don't know, commisioned songs with royalties.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
i really prefer the more... futuristic/sci-fi kinda designs and i like the look of chis-a. the fact that its not very similar to what we tend to see is probably why i find it appealing lol. her hair is definitely an awkward style and i feel like this happens a lot with more 'simple' design... hairstyles that are a little nonsense lol. if they took away the braid id prefer it more tbh, or if they just evened out her fringe.

regardless, i actually quite like the orange with the muted cyan/blue-green, its really not a common color combo for these kinds of designs and i can see how the 'muddy' colors to her design can be a turn off to some, but its also why i find it interesting because these colors do in fact go together. they are complementary colors and i like how they implemented them imo.

Th teaser silhouette doesn't match the illustration that we were shown. hmm...
View attachment 6197View attachment 6198
it looks like an alt pose, the one released seems very standard to show off her design clearly, i can imagine the other art will be shown in time with her full release

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)