• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Other Cryptonloid voicebank updates, collabs, & concert news (crypton_wat Twitter translations)

Rolo

Watch Levius and Stan Natalia Cromwell
Sep 16, 2019
^^ Agreed. I don’t want to get my hopes up too much since Miku’s outfit is really iconic and I know it might be tempting to keep. But it’s time for a change and it really would be a good and easy way for fans to tell Miku has moved on from vocaloid.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
NT outfit will most likely be along the same lines as her earlier designs I think. It wouldn't make sense to completely overhaul something that's so iconic and recognisable. Probably it's going to be very similar to Miku's old costume designs.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Just to throw it out there, I'd guess we probably won't see a new outfit until closer to the full release. They've got a good enough thing going with her placeholder art (even the Sonicwire shopping cart has a thumbnail that reflects the bare-shouldered look), and they'll probably hold on to the final look until the rest of the new VB is finalized.

(Personally, I'm actually fond of the promotional art--it reminds me of the practice in some anime to use this sort of appearance to represent a more ethereal form, like one's soul or an astral body or something. For a being like Miku, I find that idea very fitting. But this look wouldn't work for concerts and things, so there's going to have to be something else.)

Rolo

Watch Levius and Stan Natalia Cromwell
Sep 16, 2019
That just makes me think of Miku actually wearing a sleeveless and collarless top but it’s cropped so we can’t see it kinda like the video for black or white by Michael Jackson 😂😂 (can’t say I would be opposed to that as a look though 🤔)

okrere

New Fan
Apr 15, 2020
I hope Miku will have a grey shirt like V2 again, since it sounds like NT is based off of the V2 banks. Though I'm thinking not, since Ixima likes to make her boxart designs 'sleek & fresh'. I'm actually not a fan of that design philosophy of Ixima's at all, and V4x Miku was especially bad, so I'm kinda cynical... but my fingers are crossed for a good design. inb4 KEI makes a surprise comeback

EDIT: Wait, guys, I figured it out. In true Crypton fashion the Miku NT design will be decided in a Piapro contest.

Last edited:

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I feel like Miku almost has to be wearing some form of skirt + thigh highs because of the whole zettai ryouiki thing. I am really hoping she gets headphones, because I have been waiting for Miku to get ears since December. I think they will put an ear piece on her with a mic by her mouth and that's why she doesn't have ears right now, but it's annoying me so much.
mikuear2.jpg
^ I quick slapped a simple ear on there so I can sleep at night. People keep saying her ear is behind her bangs, but her ears would have to be tiny and on her cheek to be under her bangs.

I thought it was weird how Miku has round ponytails now, but then I realized Miku Chinese does, too, but NT's are smaller. (I just really think the square ones are iconic, though...)
maxresdefault.jpg

Exemplar

Veteran
May 17, 2018
I really don't want to gloat (but I defeintely want to so why not) but here's what I said on Dec 29th, 2018 in the Vocaloid 2019 Predictions thread
CRYPTON
-This is going to be a bit of an controversial and possibly the most way off prediction in this thread. CFM releases their very own singing synth engine. Along with a split from Sega for concerts, CFM wants to own their own engine so they have more freedom from Yamaha let alone other software companies for voice development and they could end up making more money by doing everything singing synth in-house. Because they're definitely the company with the resources and popularity that could pull off such a move. The singing synth market could become really competitive if CFM prices their new product much lower than V5. If they went with such a move, they could slightly change Miku's design to no longer reflect the influence of Yamaha's keyboards in the character art.

Last edited:

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Hopefully not long until NT's prototype is released! I think they'll go for a new outfit which calls back to the OG design, but features details from Piapro NT instead of V2. It's always nice to see Miku's new designs.

phantoCrystal

New Fan
Feb 13, 2019
woo, congrats, exemplar!
Well, here's hoping everything goes right this time... I feel like an excited child on Christmas, but also am weirdly anxious! Honestly, I feel like I'm expecting a sort of demo or something to release WITH the prototype, which may be something that they're rushing to finish up? ...Dunno, dropping demos with release doesn't sound THAT crazy. I doubt we'll see the design until full release, just so the release can maybe feel a bit bigger (and maybe they're planning to make it more exciting for her actual full release... Maybe that's why they're holding back demos? So they can advertise the more FINISHED, FULL version?)
Rambling, rambling... but here we go.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Maybe that's why they're holding back demos? So they can advertise the more FINISHED, FULL version?)
I think that's just what Crypton hopes we are thinking... 😅

I got 6 Guitar Pro files ready with some songs that have vocal fry/screaming in it in order to see what types of screams Miku can do. I seriously hope that it's not just like the Cherry Pie demo where the scream is applied to the whole track, I hope you can actually tune with it... (But either way, something is better than nothing. The current scream methods are hard to use, so at least having preset screams all in one place will help a lot.)

I find it strange that Wat bragged about how many screams there are and yet they refuse to demonstrate said screams. Lovely. If they are thinking they will win over producers just by offering screams, they had better think again. Kind of lame peace offering. S:

Anyway, for the screaming parts of songs I picked out, I felt kind of depressed after combining all the clips of the real singers. I feel like "There is no way Miku can sing this good". If she can, I will die happy and my skeleton will wait for metal Kaito. If she can do good vocal fries, I think the vocal synth world would be very happy, too.

Lastly and sort of random, I felt sad by seeing wary Tweets from people expecting Crypton to suddenly delay NT again.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I think they will put an ear piece on her with a mic by her mouth and that's why she doesn't have ears right now
I think so, too. Miku always has headphones/mic. Unless she doesn't in NT anymore; it's always been an aspect that struck me as a little odd. On stage, she often has a standing mic anyway.

(Love the inclusion of the ear, though--once you notice her ear is missing, it's hard to not notice it on some level.)

I thought it was weird how Miku has round ponytails now, but then I realized Miku Chinese does, too, but NT's are smaller. (I just really think the square ones are iconic, though...)
Agree with this also--I prefer the square ones for some reason. Though since Chinese went with round, and the designs seem to progress (There's a clear progression between V2-V3-V4X, with each design being tweaked by the one after it.), I wouldn't be surprised if NT kept the round hairbands. Such is life in that case, I guess; I'll get used to them :) .

I don't really know how I feel about the lack of demo songs. The promotion for the prototype has been really, really underwhelming. There's no getting away from it.

But then again, it's a prototype.

I'm trying to imagine the different ways they could handle releasing a new product where people see it early in an unfinished state. If you heavily build up the prototype, you get lots of hype for it, but then getting people excited about the product when it's actually done seems like it would be much more difficult. If there were issues that you corrected, it's harder to get that message out. People who tested the product will likely be interested enough to listen and find out, but it seems like there would be the possibility that the wait-and-see crowd would have heard all the evil bug stories and stopped caring. So you're basically stuck with your most loyal beta testers as your final audience, and you have to work really hard to change it.

On the other hand, if you don't build up the prototype but put your efforts behind the finished product.... Well, probably the beta testers are disproportionately made up of Miku's more die-hard fans, no? They would be the ones more willing to be interested in finding out sooner, and taking the financial risk to do it. You don't need to market as hard to them. Once the product is finished, you can put all your efforts into a bigger, splashier campaign that will attract even people who were less interested, and you'll have a product that hopefully won't have as much risk of disappointing them.

At least that's the thought I'm coming to as I think out loud.

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
As much as it would be potentially cool to update Miku's overall design, that likely won't happen because there would be an inevitable backlash involved if they changed her design too drastically. It always happens with almost every popular character that gets a "redesign". I think they'll just be fine if they get a new, fresh artist to draw for Miku (someone who isn't iXima for a change, as good as he is, he's been doing the drawings ever since v3) and just make little adjustments here and there but leave the overall outfit and colour scheme unchanged.

Also on the topic of them having to change the design because they're no longer associated with Vocaloid, i highly doubt they're gonna take that approach. I mean, yeah sure, they're gonna have to take those tiny words that say "vocaloid" and "yamaha" on her design off, but it's such a tiny detail anyways. And as for them taking off all the buttons and knobs because they were inspired by Yamaha's keyboards, i dont really see that either. Those sorts of things are present on any sort of keyboard, and tbh it gives more the impression that she's a virtual instrument, rather than her being Yamaha-related.

Its gonna take a lot more than just changing the design to distance Miku from Vocaloid. The two terms are practically synonymous. IMHO its gonna take a lot of time and a lot of explaining to casual fans over the span of years to even begin to make progress in disassociating Miku from Vocaloid. That vast majority of Vocaloid fans barely know that Miku isn't even the first Vocaloid to begin with, so this is gonna take some time to get used to.

(Also on the topic of Miku's ears, i always thought she didn't have ears because she was an android, and those black/pink modules that were in the place of her ears were attached to her, but that's just how i saw it.)

Reactions: Cookiez

FluoroLime

cangqiong
Apr 27, 2020
Waaah I'm so excited!!!!
Also, in the tweets Wat said "going back to the data we recorded in 2007"... Could this mean they're using the samples from her original vb? If so, I would be a very happy camper because I love the early harshness of V2 and it would be so good without the choppiness.

REDD

Aspiring Fan
May 19, 2020
So, do you guys think they're going to release the prototype with a demo, or do you think they're just going to drop the prototype without any fanfare?
(my bets on the latter)

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Waaah I'm so excited!!!!
Also, in the tweets Wat said "going back to the data we recorded in 2007"... Could this mean they're using the samples from her original vb? If so, I would be a very happy camper because I love the early harshness of V2 and it would be so good without the choppiness.
They used the samples from Miku/Len/Rin/Luka V2 and Kaito/Meiko's V3 to make the NT voices. They made the clips less muddy than before.

I am downloading NT now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)