• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Other Cryptonloid voicebank updates, collabs, & concert news (crypton_wat Twitter translations)

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
One thing I can't wait to find out: can you use the old Piapro in the same song as the new Piapro? (You can use V5 and Piapro together, but you can't use old Piapro more than once.)

From the English Sonicwire page:
* To import VOCALOID track is not possible. Please note that some specifications may be different between prototype version and major release version.
It's interesting they bundled those two seemingly unrelated sentences together in the same bullet point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leon

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Just a reminder that Miku NT is her original V2 voicebank edited to be clearer and have shorter samples (hence the name "Original Voice: Standard voice library with improved voice expression from previous Hatsune Miku"). I noticed some people aren't a fan of her sound, but remember that there are many features that haven't been shown to us yet that new Piapro can do. So the voice banks alone are not the only reason someone would want to buy it.

For example, the product page says there is Voice Drive (for screaming effects, it used to be known as "VocalDrive"), Voice Voltage seems to be the equivalent to V5's Attack/Release, Super Formant Shifter is basically Gender Factor. But Cherry Pie isn't in the beta release (for using the Cryptonloids like a vocoder to have your voice converted to their's), neither is HS Booster (which stretches out the voice and was used by Mitchie-M in "Seraphim on the Ring", guess he got the non-beta version of Piapro?). They also said there were supposed to be 11 effectors, but there are only 3 effectors shown out of 6 (maybe they will add more rows?).

I think that the new Piapro seems good for metal/rock musicians (because of the vocal effects), VTubers (for Cherry Pie to change their gender), and people who are not married to the Vocaloid software and don't care about their characters being on different synths. AKA Perfect for me. :P

One thing I can't wait to find out: can you use the old Piapro in the same song as the new Piapro? (You can use V5 and Piapro together, but you can't use old Piapro more than once.)
I don't really understand what you mean. I assume you can have both new Piapro VST and Piapro VST on their own track in the DAW if that's what you mean by "together". Why would you even need to have 2 instances of old Piapro in the same song if you can just have multiple tracks within Piapro?

Also, I looked back at my old 47 page Google Doc with old Wat translations and I remembered that he had mentioned "Dark" multiple times (as being hated by people for not sounding Miku-ish) and Solid. (He said that new Miku will still have her nuance even if it is Dark or Solid. He even conversed with people about these two banks specifically and hoped the tweaked version would be accepted.) I guess we'll see if we get English at all or just all Japanese (possibly being Original, Solid, and Dark?) for this release.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I don't really understand what you mean. I assume you can have both new Piapro VST and Piapro VST on their own track in the DAW if that's what you mean by "together". Why would you even need to have 2 instances of old Piapro in the same song if you can just have multiple tracks within Piapro?
Yep, that's what I mean--having new Piapro on one track and old Piapro on another.

Mostly, I wonder because the stipulation that you couldn't host Piapro twice in a song stuck out to me when I was a newbie. At the time, it would've made sense to me to have one track per singer. (Actually, I still think that makes the most logical sense, even if that isn't how it actually works.)

Practically, though, the real reason to want to use multiple instances of old Piapro is so they can be adjusted with separate effect VSTs (i.e. Nectar, de-ess, reverb). Heck, even if you wanted to do something as simple as change the volume in your DAW (like, if you had to stack a Piapro volume adjustment with a DAW adjustment) differently for the different singers, it would work better to have the singers in different tracks.

I guess we'll see if we get English at all or just all Japanese (possibly being Original, Solid, and Dark?) for this release.
Here's hoping for English! I mean, I assume Mitchie used it for Ansatsu Princess, unless that was Engrish.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
I'm not particularly impressed by the demo they uploaded, I'm not trying to be a debby-downer or hate on it, but it really doesn't sound that much different than her V4... also, I'm kinda disappointed they caved and are changing Miku dark and solid; those were my favorites.

Also, the heavier system requirements are a major oof for me, as someone who's not looking to upgrade their computer and lacks the hardware knowledge to do so anyways (I'm great with software and OS stuff, but as soon as hardware comes up, I'm lost). I

Also, double oof for no VSQ/X, etc.. Do we know if you'll at least be able to use the old Piapro studio files (.ppsf)? I didn't see anything on Sonicwire about it. If that's the case, then at least I can import VSQs into old Piapro and convert them to PPSF.

Triple oof for the being connected to Internet at all times; I guess Crypton didn't see EmVoice's backlash for that??? I know CFM has made questionable decisions in the past, but really?

I'm also extremely disappointed that Miku is the only one available for demo; I'm far more interested in how the Kagamines will fare since CFM's trying to make them sound more like their ACT1's.

Could that end up being the directly-drawn parameters from UTAU that people have wanted?
Oh, gosh. Please, yes. Then maybe I'd finally be able to tune Miku and the Kagamines. worth a damn.

(I'm sorry if I sound like a hater; I'm just kinda disappointed as someone who's been a loyal CFM customer and fan.)

Hey! But at least Piapro comes with the voicebanks and we don't have to buy it separately like Vocaloid 3 onwards!

Nezuh

Official Piko Husband
Apr 17, 2018
Argentina
www.youtube.com
I really want this new Piapro engine to work, but I'm very worried about that "Internet connection required at all times" thing, and the choppines in transitions. It reminds me of a CVVC UTAU with a good resampler. I know wat wanted a more mechanical/non-realistic voice, but that gets too close to too much
Those are two big red flags imo

Crypton never drop the ball until now though. So I have hope that they don't start now and at such a delicate moment.
--Edit:
No support for VSQ/VSQx either?
wow, that would be another huge mistake. It's not that hard, really. Heck, even Synth-V and UTAU have compatibility with that. And those are free, mind you.

Cyana

The Kagamines are my children
May 25, 2018
Australia
Practically, though, the real reason to want to use multiple instances of old Piapro is so they can be adjusted with separate effect VSTs (i.e. Nectar, de-ess, reverb). Heck, even if you wanted to do something as simple as change the volume in your DAW (like, if you had to stack a Piapro volume adjustment with a DAW adjustment) differently for the different singers, it would work better to have the singers in different tracks.
Just fyi, you can do this with current piapro by routing your vocal tracks in piapro to separate mixer tracks in your DAW, using the little numbers under the parameter buttons. Then you just have to make the extra tracks visible in your DAW's mixer window. I think you can have up to 16 separate tracks this way.

But on topic, I'm really curious to see how this new piapro turns out, esp for Rin and Len. I like the look of the waveform visualisation along with pitch, it'll make editing dynamics a lot more intuitive. And I hope they can live up to the promises of easy voice expression change, I think that would be so cool!

And though the lack of vsq/x files is a bit annoying, I wouldn't be surprised if it were legal issues more than anything stopping them. Given vsq is yamaha's file format and crypton is moving away from yamaha's program. Hopefully piapro studio song files will work

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
Just wanted to do a quick mention, but it seems like EVEC is still going to be in the new Piapro Studio < the P and S > symbol is not highlighted.

I hate that CV04 is gone from Wat's bio.... :kaito_lili:

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018

I am very grateful for the wide response and opinions!
The expression style of the demo this time respects the charm of basic singing synthesis like the CV [(Consonant-Vowel recording system for Japanese] of UTAU and [Miku NT's] CVVC [Consonant Vowel Vowel Consonant recording system popular for recording non-Japanese languages] transition which approaches this [style/sound] as much as possible.
...But, because the freedom of [singing] expression for NT [Newtype] is still being prepared, we will handle the next demo song so as to convey the new-ness [of its features].
*I had to add quite a few [ ] notes because I couldn't figure out how to put this in natural English without explaining a bit of the nuance of the vocab used.

@GreenFantasy64 I looked at the screenshot, but I can't see the P and the S, where is it? (Blind)

Reactions: GreenFantasy64

frankensalad

Passionate Fan
Feb 27, 2019
Since I already expressed my disappointment with her overall sound, there are a few positives I should mention. I DO like the waveform visualization for the same reasons others have mentioned, as well as the fact that EVEC is still a thing apparently.

Still hella skeptical for the reasons I previously said, not to mention the always online and the lack of VSQ/X support, but ... we'll see I guess.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
I wonder how long this has been in development
I think I know about how long it's been in development. I have translated almost every single Wat tweet leading up to today and compiled them on a big document (see post #1 😅). The oldest piece of information I have on the document is from September 10th, 2017. But that's not the correct date, the tweet that actually lead to me translating all of that was from August 17th where Wat shared screenshots of him editing Kaito's V1 to be clearer (see post #5), but I completely forgot to translate those couple of tweets and add it to my document (it was because of VocaloidOtaku getting deleted which is where the translation project started, oops). We can probably assume that the project to fix up everyone's voicebanks (it was originally Kaito's V1 but got switched to his V3, Meiko's V3, Rin/Len/Miku/Luka's V2) must have happened some time around the middle of 2017. Even in 2017, Wat was talking about semi-automatic tuning and working with AIST (the people who made VocaListener).

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Just fyi, you can do this with current piapro by routing your vocal tracks in piapro to separate mixer tracks in your DAW, using the little numbers under the parameter buttons. Then you just have to make the extra tracks visible in your DAW's mixer window. I think you can have up to 16 separate tracks this way.
Thanks very much for the info! I really appreciate it.

Time to go learn a bit more about those channels :) .

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018

We refrained from the typical-ness of inorganic singing synthesis, are starting to create a demonstration of an organic manner of singing. We are aiming to publish it during January 2020 (depending on the expression style selected, you can even select things like the inorganic/organic-ness in NT [Newtype], and are the planned specifications to have sung)
Just an FYI, it takes me longer to put technical explanations of how software works in to English. Especially when it's 4~6 am.
:ring_ani_lili:

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
I really want this new Piapro engine to work, but I'm very worried about that "Internet connection required at all times" thing,
things can change, and if there will be enough feedback, they could remove that internet check (which, like any counter piracy tool in the PC games, can affect negatively the performance). probably they'll keep that internet check at least for the first months of the release, in order to avoid piracy and mods.
also, Miku new type will be released as retail as well, so who knows.. maybe the retail version won't have the internet check? in Japan, PC games and software sold as retail box don't have any internet check, while the same software sold on digital stores, they have the check sometimes

I wonder how long this has been in development
from what I remember Wataru Sasaki-san said during the Magical Mirai 2019 in Tokyo panel, the full development started about 2 years ago, but early development was already being planned around 2016~2017 :miku_lili::miku_rylitah::miku_winter_lili:

Sep 21, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if the Internet check ends up being a beta only thing. Since the beta is like an early version of the software, they don't want people to be able to crack it and distribute it before the final version is released, as that would probably lead to a sharp drop in sales. (Ofc, they don't want the software being cracked at all, but especially the early version.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)