• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

CeVIO CeVIO Discussion Thread

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
i definitely dont hate it- but i get some of the dislike and my own dislikes in parts of it but like, i cant say i didnt expect there to be even more divergence from Flower's previous designs. ill be honest though i actually like the design and art more than Flower Talk- maybe its because the colors are more muted and dark, and she looks a little less "moe" than that one.

they certainly call back to "confusing top designs" like with v4 lol. seriously, why cant they just design a top that makes sense? cuz otherwise i dont mind the outfit. i actually like the accenting colors because they remind me of the gold accent on her V4 which is nice. black/gold/white is always a good look imo.
1651203677275.png1651203689062.png

really my main dislikes are the hair and the pull towards more futuristic vibes.... i didnt mind the minimalist black/white future vibes with characters like Kafu and the other's related to her, buuuut to see it over and over.... and for flower's hair to just kinda fall in line with something very typical and not unique compared to over voices, its a shame because her hair is kinda what made her stand out. (i kept thinking it wouldve been cool to see a flower with completely split white/black hair tho, if they were to go with something way different... that wouldve been fun tbh)

...anyways. will be curious what the sound will be like. really i dont mind the design, not here to hate what flower may become either! curious to see how this will go.

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
I like the design, I just don't think it looks like the flower we know. Maybe that was done intentionally for reasons that are not yet clear to us.

EDIT: Some things I really love about the design: the mechanical details, the shape of the outfit as a whole, the integration of the logo into the clothes. It is a really good design IMO, but it just isn't what we expect from the existing character.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I don't mind the design, but I can see why other people are upset. It's the least 'Flower'-looking design we've seen so far (as in, it's very divorced from both V3 and V4 Flower's designs). For comparison, at least Miku NT's design takes cues from previous versions - Ci Flower doesn't seem to do much of that at all.

That is, if Ci Flower is even related to V Flower. Has anything else been announced on her status (i.e. her company)?

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
Huh, interesting. In most technical senses it's an improvement over her V4 for its readability, flexibility, and overall cleanness - but like a pristine remake of a classic song; sometimes removing rough edges can result in a loss of character. The design is perfectly fine in isolation, but by missing the unique boyish, gothic elements that made both Flower designs memorable, I can completely understand fans feeling underwhelmed.

If this were a new character, my biggest issue would be the amount of homogenous greys and muted tones, and the lack of any 'stand out' features. For Flower, it needed either a more unisex style, or to lean harder into alternative fashion. Changing a character's hairstyle, even slightly, is very risky. It was successful for Flower once, but at this point her short hair is so iconic that giving her a slightly longer bob is probably one of the main reasons she doesn't feel like Flower for a lot of fans.

It's certainly not the worst Flower design (Talk); but it's clear they weren't aware of - or weren't interested in - the main reasons English-speaking fans are attached to her. It's completely possible that this design will be a huge hit with her core fanbase in Japan, but it's a shame we didn't get another non-gender conforming design, which are an extreme rarity in vocal synths.

Last edited:

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
Huh, interesting. In most technical senses it's an improvement over her V4 for its readability, flexibility, and overall cleanness - but like a pristine remake of a classic song; sometimes removing rough edges can result in a loss of character. The design is perfectly fine in isolation, but by missing the unique boyish, gothic elements that made both Flower designs memorable, I can completely understand fans feeling underwhelmed.

If this were a new character, my biggest issue would be the amount of homogenous greys and muted tones, and the lack of any 'stand out' features. For Flower, it needed either a more unisex style, or to lean harder into alternative fashion. Changing a character's hairstyle, even slightly, is very risky. It was successful for Flower once, but at this point her short hair is so iconic that giving her a slightly longer bob is probably one of the main reasons she doesn't feel like Flower for a lot of fans.

It's certainly not the worst Flower design (Talk); but it's clear they weren't aware of - or weren't interested in - the main reasons English-speaking fans are attached to her. It's completely possible that this design will be a huge hit with her core fanbase in Japan, but it's a shame we didn't get another non-gender conforming design, which are an extreme rarity in vocal synths.
I mean, the vb is for Japanese language and is on an engine not very popular in the west, so it's only natural that they'd ignore any interests that the western Fandom has and prioritize the interests of the Japanese Fandom

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
For Flower, it needed either a more unisex style, or to lean harder into alternative fashion.
i think above all thats where most of my disappointment lies-- from the perspective of enjoying v3 and v4 designs, i liked the direction of that style because honestly, there is a lot to do with that fashion sense. of course this is from my western fashion perspective, but i know japan has a huge fashion scene as well with their own sense of goth, alt, punk etc.... so its a shame they didnt lean into that mostly with flower's popularity and uniqueness stemming from that. of course its not shock to me that they have pulled flower away from that in time, but its a shame because there really couldve been something interesting to do with her design, even if they wanted to make her more femme than unisex, imo. this design by itself isnt bad, but it is entirely different from what flower was stylistically.

and that aside of appearance it does make me wonder if theyll take her voice in a different direction too, with the aesthetic changes occuring..

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
and that aside of appearance it does make me wonder if theyll take her voice in a different direction too, with the aesthetic changes occuring..
That's the biggest question I have now. It's clear that they wanted the character to still be recognizable as Flower, but it's also clear that they want to take her in a different direction than what Gynoid's Flower leaned towards - of course it's all just speculation, but I did feel like this was a possibility since this is confirmed to be a new company handling her character now (even if they do have Gynoid's blessing).

It'd be a little weird to change her character this much and just leave her voice perfectly intact, so I don't feel like we're going to end up with a Yukari Rei situation here. Of course it'd be interesting if they do, hearing how current Flower sounds on CeVIO, but I'm really expecting her to sound different. Perhaps even a new VP...? That'd be a wild move considering Flower's voice is what draws most people to her, but I really have no idea what to expect now.

(Worst case scenario, I think, is to go the route 1st Place took and try to make her sound cutesy since that's what a lot of Flower producers seem to be doing with her like they did with IA... it wouldn't fit the design, but I don't think anyone expected Flower to sound like she did when her V3 came out either.)

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
i like the design, i think the jacket looks SICK, but it overall doesnt feel like flower and compared to her other designs it feels kind of boring. she has always had a strong emphasis on alternative, grungey fashion and this is more techware modern minimalist vibes. it needs more fishnets, ripped lace and belt buckles tbh

Mika

crying over Rune Factory 6
Jul 5, 2018
Germany
After comparing this design to her old ones I noticed that the key elements that make flower look like flower are all gone except for the black hair strands and that extra buckle on her shoes.

She's missing her purple eyes, the wavyness of her hair and her ahoge, the bandages, that weird distressed white ruffle stuff and, the most important thing.. the color purple. This design just isnt purple at all. I know a lot of people dislike the Talk design, but it's a flexible design that looks a lot like flower. If you keep the talk jacket and maybe close the shoes, you can put anything else on her clothing wise and it will look good and like flower. Because all her key elements are there.

Infoholic

CEO of Chorical, LLC.
Mar 26, 2018
I'd like to clarify that this is the same VA. Flower for CeVIO started as a Gynoid project, they had every intention of making her under their brand (and likely designing her as they typically would). However, for one reason or another, they were unable to complete project and had to ultimately license it out/hand it off to a third party.*

*My personal speculation is that Gynoid prematurely announced the project without realizing they had locked themselves into a VOCALOID5 contract two years prior with the Meikas. While AHS had also signed onto V5, they have the means to pay their way out of it; Gynoid has always been a small circle company who heavily benefited from Yamaha's trickle-downs (both Flower and Xin Hua were essentially given to them after being made by Yamaha), thus likely unable to pay any of the fees that they would've had to in order to continue producing the project. With the state of Vocaloid as a brand, the members probably threw in the towel, rearranged, and now exist merely to maintain the copyright and licensing of their software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)